Praise the Lord!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord! Erica did fine with her surgery Monday. She ended up having posterior, anterior, and thoracoplasty. Her curve was 75 or above and Dr. Pete said he got at least 50% correction! This was way above what he had suggested. He had thought he would get 60 degree, and we were comfortable with that. Erica sat in a chair today. She didn't make a sound when they moved her from her bed to the chair. I was so surprised after hearing about people on this forum and other patients here at Shriners. She is having nightmares, but that is probably from the medications. I am now rooming with a mother whose son had his 3rd surgery since May for amputating more of his leg to try to get the healing to take place. We are in the parent hotel room together while our kids are in EPACU. Both of our children have expressed that God has plans for them with her son's situation with his leg and Erica's scoliosis. Amazing, children spreading God's message to us moms! I was finally able to get the computer people here to fix this site so it would let me post again. Thank you all for being my main support sysem since we decided on surgery last February! Kris

Kris,

So glad to hear the good news! Hopefully the nightmares will stop once they change/stop the meds.

When you get a chance, I'd love to hear more info on the thoracoplasty. Is she complaining (yet) of pain in that area? Does her back look more smooth and symmetric? How many ribs did they resect? So many questions...

Tell her that she's an inspiration to many already. She knows what's up. I'm glad she is having as good experience as possible. Continued smooth and speedy recovery vibes coming your way.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi Kris...

The nightmares are almost certainly from morphine or whatever drug they have in Erica's PCA. I had the same problem, and was actually willing to live with the pain to avoid the nightmares as they got progressively worse. My surgery was 13 years ago, but I still remember the details of the nightmare (which repeated over and over again). You can ask the doctors to switch her to another medication (e.g., fentinyl or dilaudid).

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

After having met Erica, I'm not surprised by how well she is doing. She's a real trooper. I am thrilled by the correction they got.

Comment

Nice to hear from you, Dawn! I tell Erica about you when I see her. Her nurse at EPACU thinks that maybe she is tolerating the pain so well because she had pain with her brace for the last year and a half. She used to have pain with the brace on, and worse if it was off. Only kid I have heard of at this hospital to enjoy wearing a brace. She begged for them to let her sit up out of bed when I was up there last. She is bragging to me about how much she breathes in the tube each time. Thanks for your responses. Kris

Comment

Carmell, I told Erica of your request for info regarding her thoracoplasty, to let her know how she can possibly communicate her feelings herself also. She doesn't know how it feels, she said. I guess I can be glad she can't be specific about her pain yet. They took parts of 5 ribs, but left the growth plate or whatever, so the ribs will grow back within a year. He back is really covered up in a line of gause down the center and gause all over her right shoulder where there used to be a hump, so I am not able to tell how much flatter her back is yet, but what I have seen looks wonderful! It should make her able to relax her right shoulder back in the future as she sits in normal chairs,etc. That is one reason we decided to have the thoracoplasty. She was not just looking like a rib hump, but she was uncomfortable with it. I think it was hurting her shoulder/back where her shoulder was forced forward in order to make room for the top of the spine to go up against the rib hump. Now I think the ribs are supposed to grow back in a flatter fashion instead of in a hump. Hope this helps. I am finally beginning to understand all this tech-talk. Kris

Comment

So glad to hear your daughters surgery went well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Renee

Comment

kris

glad to hear all went well
                in my prayers
                theresa
                THERESA

Comment

Delighted to hear it all well so well!! Hope the nightmares stop soon.
                  Best wishes
                  Lorrie

Comment

Thanks for the cheers everyone! Today Erica walked around the room all over the place and would have kept going if it wasn't for the lack of space. She was extremely tired right after that, though, so now she is asleep again. Kris

Comment

Thanks for the info Kris. Tell Erica she's doing great (like she doesn't already know)! Your description of the rib hump sounds very similar to Braydon's, only his is on the left side. His left shoulderblade actually sits on top of the hump of ribs on the left. Sitting against hard-back chairs is always uncomfortable. I'm so glad to hear she isn't having extra pain because of the thoracoplasty. I'll be asking Braydon's surgeon about this at his next checkup. Oh, Braydon had a rib removed for his fusion surgery as a baby... they left the lining of the rib in place so it would grow back - yep - within 6 weeks (for an infant) the bone structure was fully formed again! Very cool! Hopefully Erica's rib growth will go as planned and her back will be more even and flat. Hopefully she'll pay attention to her body and rest when she needs to. It's still going to be a long recovery. Continued best wishes.
                      Carmell
                      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Kris,

I am so relieved to hear that you've joined us on the "other side" of surgery! I am thrilled that youe baby is doing so well. Hugs, kisses, and prayers from me and the whole family.

Susanna
                        Susanna
                        ~~~~~~
                        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Kris,
                          Glad to hear Erica's surgery went so well. Crystal understands the constant pain before surgery. The one thing Crystal said was that her back didn't hurt any more, just the surgery sight. I am glad to see Erica up and going so soon. I am convinced that helps them heal a lot faster. Shriners has an incredible pain management team, or at least I thought so. Sounds as if Erica continues to improve, she will be going on soon. I am so happy you are both on the other side now. Tell Erica to keep up the good work and we are proud of her.

'til later,
                          Nikki

Comment

Praise God!

Kris,

So glad to hear that Erica is doing so good. She sounds like a very determined young lady. I have been praying for her and your entire family. We should hear from Shriners soon for our 2nd opinion, although, Dr. W. has called me at home several times to try to reassure us about waiting. We'll continue to pray for a fast and easy recovery. Cheryl
                            NCM

Comment

The nurse squad

Now Erica is avoiding "the nurse squad," as she forgets to lock her wheelchair before she stands up to walk. She told me she was glad the nurses weren't near the last time she forgot to lock it, when I reminded her to lock before she got up. I am glad she is warry of their discipline, as she doesn't seem to think mine is worth anything. It's a constant, "mom, don't worry, I'm just going....," to the bathroom, to my bed, wherever. Just far enough for her to fall and break her spine!!! She doesn't agree with my concern and her surgery was just last Monday! 5 broken ribs, a chest tube, a reinflated lung, and she wants to everything herself. Now I join the rest of you who have been walking around with a pillow behind your kid post-surgery! At home I won't have my nurse squad to scold her, so I am glad we are still here at Shriners. I think her athletic style pre-surgery and her consistency with her brace 23/7 for a year and a half has prepared her for this post-surgery. She bends at the knees to dress herself some already and got on her knees beside the wheelchair today. She puts her shoes on like she learned to do wearing her brace. I think she is going to find more movement and freedom with a full back rod T3-L3, I think, than with the brace that kept her from bending at the waist and inhibited her lung expansion in breathing when she ran and played sports. I am Thanking God constantly! I have also been bragging about the forum here at Shriners and how I've learned so much from discussing from all of your experiences out there. Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X