Depressed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depressed...

I am a 15 year old female, 3 weeks post op. I had posterior surgery for my 80 degree curve for kyphosis.

Lately I have been feeling very depressed - about nothing in general. Do you know the feeling? Where you don't feel like doing anything and you want to lay down and sleep forever. I know depression is normal for after any surgery but when will I feel better again? I have almost no physical pain, I just feel bad emotionally...

Please help me!
    Fusion for 80 deg. kyphosis curve on 6-27-05
    at Rush University Medical Center, Chicago

it will be very difficult to give you proper advice on line and it might be better to consider your family doctor (if you have one) to discuss how you are feeling and whether that is normal or not.

Ofcourse, you could be suffering from depression and surely chronic pain or having had an operation of a bad image of yourself could contribute to that.

As a general pointer, feeling bad for a few days can happen to anybody and is quite normal. However feeling low all the time, being tearfull, sleep and eat poorly for quite a few weeks could mean you could do with some professional help.

Have you talked to your family, or friends about how you feel?

Don't try to do this on your own.

Best wishes

gerbo

Comment

I agree

On a sidenote though.. if you have been weaning off of painkillers I have read on here that depression is a pretty common side effect of the withdrawl.

Keep us posted on how you're doing..
      You have a ton of people praying for you to feel better on here
      Age 28
      diagnosed at age 12
      wore a boston brace until age 14
      No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
      T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
      L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
      2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
      2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

Going through surgery and the time it takes for recovery can be hard to deal with but things will get better. Just know that you are not alone. Make sure that you have someone to talk to, be it your family, a friend or therapist. We all need to vent sometimes :-) Good luck!
        Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

You have been through so much in the last few months. The emotional build up to surgery is huge and it is normal to feel an emotional let down when things finally settle down. But even if it is an understandable/normal emotion, you also need to have some help to cope with it. Try your parents. You might find that they are going through the same thing. If that's not a good option, talk with someone you feel comfortable with (a teacher, minister, family doctor). Also, try to plan something that would be fun for you. I'm not usually a huge believer in retail therapy, but sometimes you need something to look forward to. How about a back to school shopping trip? And last but not least, make sure you have reconnected with your friends. Get back on AIM, invite them over, etc. You have lots of people pulling for you. I know it is hard to believe, but this too will pass but it will pass sooner if you get some help.

Comment

Thanks SO much to all of you! I'm guessing it was the side effects of the pain killers I was on... lately I have not been taking as much. I have talked to my family about it and that's how I got here - my mom suggested going on the forums. So thanks again to everyone who replied, I am feeling better.
            Fusion for 80 deg. kyphosis curve on 6-27-05
            at Rush University Medical Center, Chicago

Comment

I'm glad you're feeling better
              Age 28
              diagnosed at age 12
              wore a boston brace until age 14
              No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
              T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
              L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
              2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
              2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

My daughter had severe depression prior to surgery. She had an 88 degree kyphosis curve. After she got off her pain meds, she started feeling much better, especially with her new back. Wait until you get a real good look at your back. You will feel so much better about things. But, do be sure to talk to your pastor, family member, good friend, teacher, etc. Anyone can listen and that is what you need to have.

Nikki

Comment

Hey. My name is Ross. I'm a 15 year old boy from Southwest Louisiana. I had the posterior spinal fusion in September of last year for a 40* Scoliosis and a 80* Kyphosis.. For about 4 weeks postop, I was in a depression. I was depressed just thinking about how I didn't think that I would be able to do normal things anymore, and how I have changed so much. But it will get better. Trust me! I am doing wonderful now. I'm working, and I just graduated from MSU for some summer pre-nursing classes. So, don't worry. It will all get better. If you would like to just talk, my email addy is hard_roc_child08@hotmail.com

Take care and keep your chin up! Ross
                  Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
                  www.myspace.com/ross40728
                  Had surgery on 9/20/04
                  81* Scheuermann's Disease
                  40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
                  U Rod Inserted
                  Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Working...
                  X