Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability

Hwy guys I'm new at this forum stuff, but i have run into a problem i am curious if Scoliosis classifes as a disability if I could get disability. Does anyone know. It would really help m

I don't think scoliosis in itself will qualify you for a disability. however, severe pain or other physical problems (Like respiratory problems from a very severe curve) caused by it may. Would be best to talk to your surgeon/doctor about it.
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

disability

So much can be done now to PREVENT disability from scoliosis and the disability people know that. Most enlightened people in our country would intervene to prevent this given the opportunity.

In my case I chose to have revision surgery at age 60(2002) because of increasing breathing problems and increasing triple curves. Without this intervention I definitely would have been miserably disabled. I am now working as a productive member of society and pain free.

On the other hand a person whose scoliosis is so bad that he/she needs oxygen 24/7 seems like a clear case. Same with a person who cannot no longer walk or take care of personal needs.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

What those few months after surgey? Is that disability or medical leave?

My finace was curious about handicapped parking stickers.. but I guess it would best best to park way at the other end of the lot since we're supposed to walk so much. Anyone have experience with those?
        Age 28
        diagnosed at age 12
        wore a boston brace until age 14
        No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
        T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
        L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
        2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
        2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

IMO, that should be under the classification of medical leave, just like any other surgical recovery.

I would have been in dire straits if I hadn't gotten my handicap permit. I had my op in december, and... I definitely recommend getting one if your op is in any month involving bad weather. It was easy to slip and fall.
          Not to mention that occasionally got EXTREMELY tired in the month or two following my surgery. Even though i was quite active, it wasn't uncommon for me to get kind of wiped out. Better to have it in case you *do* need it, rather than run into a time you need it and not have it. Even if you have it, nobody says you have to actually use it. I rarely used mine, but those times I needed it, I was grateful to have it.
          It was pretty easy to get one- all I had to do was ask my family doctor (my surgeon didn't have the paperwork) to get the form, fill it out, have my doctor fill it out, and take it to the secretary of state's office.
          Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
          Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
          Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
          Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
          February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
          September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Working...
          X