Met with Surgical Team Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met with Surgical Team Today

Megs surgery is Tuesday and we met with everyone today.....Just thought I would keep you all posted......

Hello all. Well, we met with the surgeon today. Megan had some more x-rays and her curve has progressed to 60 degrees now. It went from 50 to 60 in 7 weeks......We knew it was getting worse, we could just tell in so many ways. If she would sit upright in her wheelchair she would make little grunting noises as if it was not comfy. Anyhoo, OMG, we met the whole surgical team today, with the exeption of the anesthesiologist, we will meet him/her on Tues morning. The surgical team is awesome.....Dr. Fisk (main dude our honey of a doc), then we met Dr. Travis and Dr. Joy (Oh honey's let me tell you, talk about EYE CANDY<MMMMMMMM) I will get pics of them when Meg is in the hospital....At least the visual experience will be verrry verrry nice.......Surgery is at 730 am, and we have to be there by 530, so they can get the leads hooked up to her head and stuff, so they can monitor all her movements to ensure not paralyzing her during surgery (which of course is a possiblity). They tried to tell us all the stuff she would have coming out of her after surgery, it is pretty scary when you try to visualized it all, but at least we will be sort of prepared for all the tubes, she will be on a respirator for anywhere from 3 hrs to 3 days after surgery, like he said it will depend on how well she does, she will have arterial lines, she will have an iv in her neck to monitor blood pressure and all that, catheder, NG tube, drain tube from her surgery site and I forget what else. He said she will look really puffy after surgery, from being on her stomach for 5 hrs, but that should subside within 24-36 hrs. Dr. Joy, OMG, I can't even rave enough about him, he was AWESOME, he will be our main contact throughout, he was so wonderful, so compassionate and just as before he was a hottie, Megan was like ooooohhhh ya!!!!! He assured me, he would do everything in his power to see that Meg wasn't in pain, or as little as possible, he will do a morphine drip and then we will guage it and if not enough will go from there. He is a dad, and understands. He was so awesome and Dr. Travis, oooooooh my goodness another piece of eye candy, Meg was grinning from ear to ear.....Tomorrow we go and get the bloodwork and EKG and all the pre-op done. Guess that is it, I am mentally exhausted. Megan can't wear her brace at all, except to travel in the carseat(she is to uncomfortable without it). He wants her skin good and healthy and no rub spots. Pray for the poos, as Meg hasn't went in a few days, so we are going to try and get her emptied out before the surgery. Love to you all
    Tracy
    Wife to Scott, the most incredible man God put on this earth, Mom to Joshua who is 16 1/2, Megan who is 11 with CP, seizure disorder, sleep apnea, coritcal visual impairment, non mobile, non verbal, and scoliosis, but the GREATEST blessing we could of ever hoped for,who had posterior spinal fusion surgery on July 19th, 2005, fused from neck to bottom and has the titanium union rod wired in place. and Jacob 3yrs.....Can't forget our16 mos old golden lab puppy, Molly.....

Best wishes to you and Megan on upcoming surgery. You are almost on the "other side"! I hope everything goes well for Megan. Hope the b.m. problem is solved before she goes in. Are you trying soft foods and lots of liquids? Don't neglect to take care of yourself also. (easy to say, harder to do) and yes, please post pics of your handsome drs. (there's something about a man in a lab coat......ha ha ha!) Take care,

FlowerPower

Comment

Tracy,

Thanks for the update. I hope the surgery goes well on Tuesday, without a hitch. Good luck with everything. Have you considered doing a bowel cleanout? I think that will help with the recovery. All of the anesthesia and narcotics she will be getting will constipate her. And it can be very painful. I hope you made sure to ask about keeping her "moving" during the recovery, since she isn't as mobile as most patients. This will be very important, I promise.

We'll be anxious to hear updates next week.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi there,
        Just to wish you all the best and send you prayers and hugs. i'll be thinking of you on Tuesday.
        Lorrie

Comment

Working...
        X