nicole's 8 month check up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nicole's 8 month check up!

we just got home from nicole's 8 month check up and thought i'd post how it went. It was a great check up. We all walked out of there with big smiles especially nicole. Curve is still 20 degrees now. Nicole was worried that it would be worse. I guess she is so used to all our appointments before her surgery, every appointment her curve got worse. And best of all he lifted so many restrictions! She can basically do anything now except for contact sports. She can now bike ride, baseball, etc.. Not that she does that anyway, but it was good to hear him say that she could. He said she can go to disney next month and the thing that she was happiest about was her friend has a slide going into the pool and he said she could do that. And he said that she can go on water rides. He said that that the fusion looks good and the next four months it will just get stronger. And she ilac (sp) crest is just about closed. Finally! She was risser 0-1 for a long time before her surgery. So it was a good day! He gave us a note for going through metal detectors in case there is ever a problem with that and he also said she can definitely ride the bus to school in september. I was happy about that one! The only thing i forgot to ask which i will call them on is how many pounds she is now allowed to lift.
    So all in all a good day.
    Jennifer

Happy Day for you both, Jennifer. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like Nicole is well on her way to a full and wonderful life. Great news.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

That is such good news!!!

Comment

Jennifer,

Congratuations! I know you guys were waiting to get some answers especially about Disney. I'm impressed that so many restrictions were lifted. You know how many restrictions Jamie still has and they are ALL in place until at least the one year mark.

Mary Lou

Comment

thanks everyone. I just hope things continue to go this good. (crossing my fingers) When we got home from the dr. nicole went down her friends slide into the pool. She said it didn't hurt and she was fine. But i am just so happy for her after all these kids have been though they deserve to have some fun finally.

Jennifer

Comment

Thats great news I am so proud of you and your girl. Keep up the great work.
            97 degree Kyphosis is now down to 23. 12 hours and 16 days after being let go of the hospitol it feels so good to be back.

Comment

Jennifer,

That is wonderful news! I am so excited for you! Please give Nicole a big hug from me. I hope we're in the same boat in a few months.

Susanna
              Susanna
              ~~~~~~
              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

susanna
                yes, you will be in the same boat in a few months. It just amazes me what they have been through and you don't think they will ever be "normal" again. I just still really worry about later on in the future. I think i read way too much. When do you go back for a check up? The next time he will see her is in 6 months.
                jennifer

Comment

Jennifer
                  So Glad To Hear Your Check Up Went So Well. Nicole Must Be So Happy About Being Able To Do The Things She Wasn't Able To Do Before. Is She Allowed On Roller Coasters My Nicole Wanted To Know She Wants To Ride One As Soon As Shes Able. Her Troop Is Going To Hershey In Oct. I Told Her She Could Go But No Wild Rides And That We Must Talk To The Doctor.
                  Theresa
                  THERESA

Comment

hi theresa
                    no rollercoasters for nicole and no wild rides. I was surprised he said she can go to the waterparks. I told her she can do anything that isn't too crazy and she knows her limits so i think she'll be smart enough not to go on anything she doesn't think she should.
                    How many months will your nicole be in oct? I was very surprised that so many restrictions were lifted.
                    jennifer

Comment

Theresa,

I'm curious like Jennifer, how far out from surgery will she be in October? I assume you are talking about Hersheypark in Hershey, PA? The reason I ask is that Jamie is treated in Hershey, PA and we always go to Hersheypark and her doctor won't even allow her to go to Hersheypark until at least one year post-op! So I would be sure to check with the doctor first, because we have a lot of rollercoasters-three of which are wooden-that really throw you around.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                        i think the dr. says no hersey for a year and nicole was able to go to disney before a year is because in disney there are so many rides that are not "wild rides", alot of ones that you sit in a little train like it's a small world, etc. ones like that. About a month ago when nicole wanted to go to a carnival nearby they said she could only go on the swings and the merry go round. I haven't been to hersey in a long time, but there are probably alot of rides that aren't good for them.
                        jennifer

Comment

Hey Jennifer
                          She Will Be 7 Months On Oct 30 So I Know She Will Not Be Able To Go On Too Much. Hopefully There Are Sum Mild Rides She Could Go On. She Also Wears The Brace 23 Hrs So This Will Be Tough For Her She Hates That Thing But Doing Well Wearing It About 20 Hrs A Day. I'm Going On The Trip Also So I'm Letting Her Go. I Have Never Been To Hershery Park In A Million Years So I'm Going To Have To Check They Web Site. Did Dr.boachie Say How Long Before She Could Go On A Roller Coaster.

Mary Lou
                          Any Mild Rides???
                          Even If We Play Games People Watch Shop.hang Out With The Chickens I'm Thinking Out Of 21 Girls There Must Be One Or Two Who Won't Ride.
                          Thanks Theresa
                          THERESA

Comment

Jennifer,
                            We must have just missed you at Dr. Boachie's office. That's really terrific news...and the best is that Nicole is feeling good. I'm sure you worried a lot during these past eight months. I could see how it might almost be difficult to stop worrying. Enjoy your trip to Disney! Perhaps we will meet someday in Florida. As for us....my daughter is having a meltdown tonight. She's really stressed out and my efforts to help her calm down seem useless. One more day to go. Lori

Comment

Theresa,

Wild rides at Hersheypark, hmmm-almost all of them! In our school, if the kids make honor roll for at least three marking periods in eighth grade, they get a free day at Hersheypark. Well, even with surgery, Jamie met that goal this year, but of course wasn't allowed to go. We asked the school if they could give her something else instead as her reward, and they asked me if she could just "go along" and ride some mellow rides. I think we came up with a few rides she could ride and she was six months post-op at the time! (The monorail, the ferriswheel, the swings, and things like that) They do have a dolphin show and other shows to watch, which maybe a friend would go to with her. For Jamie, we've always had season passes to Hersheypark since they were little and it just would not have been fun for Jamie to sit out and watch.

Stay away from the wooden coasters-The Wildcat, Lightening Racer, and the Comet. We have a few steel rollercoasters, which probably have the warning "people with back problems shouldn't ride" notice up. Stay away from the "Mouse", I think it is, because that thing REALLY throws you around. The merrymixer and other carnival type rides probably aren't good either.

Mild rides-like I said, there are a few. Right now, I'm not coming up with anymore than what I mentioned above. I'll let you know if I think of anymore. Oh, there's also a small zoo you could spend time in. They have games you can play and a few shows to watch.

Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X