All is well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All is well

My son's surgery went well. They were able to do a more conservative surgery than was expected which means less time in hospital and fewer restrictions post op. Unfortunately, the docs are strongly recommending that we do this again in 4 months, but at least this time we'll know what to expect and we anticipate that it will be the conservative surgery again. Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts.

That is great that the surgery went so well. Is he still in the hospital? How is his recovery coming along?

My son had his surgery on June 22 and he is also doing well and his recovery is going wonderfully. He is still sleeping in a recliner since he's not comfortable laying in bed yet, but other than that, he's doing great.

Why does your son need more surgery in four months?

Comment

Thanks for your well wishes. My son has type 2 congenital kyphosis which means he is congenitally fused at 4 vertebrae in the front. The surgery was to fuse those same vertebrae in the back. With the doctors advice we opted not to attempt a correction of his curvature because of the risk with this type of deformity, so this surgery was only to stop the progression of the curve. Since he is growing rapidly right now they are very concerned that the fusion "take" and they tell us the only way to know for sure is to open him up and look. In other cases they could wait and see if the curve progresses but that is too risky in his case because they don't want to correct it if it does progress. When they open him up they will put more bone on, probably and hopefully from the bone bank. It's amazing the things I have learned about spines in the last 4 months!!!

Comment

Working...
      X