Harrington Rod and pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrington Rod and pregnancy

Hi! my name is Vicky, I'm new on this forum but i think its very intersting. I am 31 years old and i had my syrgery16-17 years ago when a Harrington rod was placed. the surgery was successfull and since then I never faced any problem . I exercsise from 18 with no major problem .Now, I am thinhking of having a baby and I am quite worried of the consequences..of course i visited my doctor and he told me that the only thing I have to watch is not to gain too much weight. Does you have further information or even better experienced a pregnancy?

Thanks!
    VIcky

Hi Vicky...

If you don't get any responses, you might want to try doing a search on the word PREGNANT or PREGNANCY. (See the Search icon above.) There have been several discussions on the subject, and I can't think of anyone who has had any significant problem with pregnancy or delivery because of their scoliosis surgery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Vicky, I have the Harrington Rod as well. My pregnancy went smooth, no back pain whatsoever and I delivered my daughter (natural) under three hours with no meds. I was 32 at the time and had the surgery when I was 26. Hope this helps. LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Vickie,

I to had a harrington placed when I was 16 and had my first child at 22. The only thing I can remember is that there was some back aches, nothing major and I to had to watch my weight. Although I was 93 lbs when I got pregnant and delivered at over 130 lbs. I did have to have a C-section with my first. I was 28 when I got pregnant with my second child and by that time I had to see a physical therapist. She taught me how to exercise in order to release the pressure from my back. This really helped, I wish I would have known about it with my first. I tried having what is called a VBAC (vaginal birth after C-section) but was unable. I just think my doctor was a big chicken ha ha.

Please don't let your scoliosis scare you from one of the best things you will experience in your life. Babies are wonderful. Good luck!

Dawn

Comment

Hello Vicky!

I had the surgery in 1978 at the age of 19 by Dr. Keim at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC. I gave birth to my daughter at age 34 and am now 46. I gained about 30-35 pounds while pregant. I had absolutely no back pain during my pregancy, although I did have some minor discomfort getting in and out of my low car in the 9th month. I gained about 30-35 pounds while pregant. I walked and did stretching exercises regularly during my pregnancy and feel that helped keep my limber. The only scoliosis related mishap I experienced was that I had to have general anesthesia for an emergency c-section because my vertebrae were too fused to get the epidural in, even after about an hour's effort. If you have concerns about being able to get an epidural, you should talk to your gyn and orthos doctors to have a plan in place. Good luck to you!

Comment

thank you

Thank all very very much for the information. It is a great relief to know that all of you experienced pregnancy with no great problems! it is so encouranging!

VIcky

Comment

Vicky, I am in a very similar position. I had surgery 15 years ago (I was 14 at the time of surgery, and am almost 29 now). I have a VERY LOW pain tolerance, so my big question is whether or not I will be able to get an epidural. Now that my husband and I are getting ready to start trying to get pregnant, I have been told that I should get an x-ray so my ob/gyn and an anesthesiologist can determine whether an epidural will be possible. So my suggestion is that, if you're not yet pregnant, get an x-ray so they can see what they're dealing with when the time comes. Obviously, once you're pregnant, you won't be able to get an epidural, and if that is the case, I don't know if they will attempt it or not.. I vividly remember asking (or maybe it was my mom who asked) if I will have any problems with pregnancy after having surgery, and my doc said no...

I have been very fortunate to not have any back pain since the surgery (or before, really). Reading now about people having back pain years after surgery will definitely be something I keep in mind, but so far so good for me.

Good luck!

By the way, I don't remember if what I have is a Harrington rod, but I believe it is...

Comment

Vicky,
                I had surgery in 1972 and have a harrington rod w/fusion from T9 to L5. I am happy to say I have 4 healthy children, and had no pregnancy related problems due to my back. The only thing that you might expect, depending upon the placement of your rod...they typically cannot do an epidural. I actually was under general anesthesia for all 4, so slept through each birth. Best of luck to you!
                Deb
                1972 - 54 degree lumbar curvature
                Grew 2 1/2 inches in 6 hours
                Quite attached to my harrington rod T-9 to L-5
                Ready for revision surgery

Comment

I have 2 daughters aged 16 and 19. When I was pregnant with the first, my ob told me to practice my lamaze because I couldn't have an epidural. At the hospital, an anesthesiologist walked in and said he could do it, no problem! Well, he kept trying until almost time for me to push, but it didn't affect the pain at all. I felt everything. What it did do was paralyze my legs for about 4 hours after. Not very effective... With my second, I arrived at the hospital dialated to a 9 and had her 30 min. later with no medication. It was a breeze! I would be wary of anyone who tells you they can perform an epidural effectively. Practice lamaze - it can be really effective!

I always thought maybe because I had gone through so much with my back, child birth was relatively easy. I wonder if any of you feel this way?

Comment

pregnancy

Had surgery in 1962 at age 12. Thirteenth person to have Harrington rods in Rochester, NY with Louis Goldstein. Had two uneventful pregnancies. First delivery I had anesthesia as the baby was posterior and needed to be turned - now it would probably be a C-section. Second delivery was a joyous occasion with Dad present and no medication. I taught prepared childbirth classes for 10 years and highly recommend then for any Mom! Only pain was in the toddler years - lifting and carrying the kids after they were born.

Comment

I am 34 & had my surgery in 1981. I actually have 2 rods & 4 kids. I don't think the rods affected my pregnancies at all. I just had the usual aches & pains of your back that you read about in all of the pregnancy books.

Comment

Hi, had my surgery at age 12 and gave birth last year at age 32. No pains during pregnancy and felt fine. Had a c section cos baby was breech and I was sure I'd have to have a general anesthetic but anesthesist somehow managed to get the epidural in between the screws: so epidural may be possible: take your x rays to hospital with you!!

Good luck. Lisa

Comment

scared of c-section

Hi I am new at this site also, but am so glad to have found it! Wondering if someone can give me some advice? I am 25 years old, was born with scoliosis, had a rod and screws implant at age 12/13, and now I am 6 months pregnant with my first child. I am excited for the birth of my child, but was dissapointed when my doctor told me it would be best if we planned a c-section by general anesthetics. Because of my narrow hips/pelvis, he does not think normal childbirth would be an option, and because of the severity of my curve, I sort of have what you could call a "Kink" in my neck, which makes the doctors nervous because of the breathing tubes they will have to use for my c-section. If I was to try for normal childbirth, and a c-section was to have to happen, the doctor told me they would not want to put the breathing tube down my throat in an emergency situation. So a c-section is to be planned on, with general anesthetics. But I am sad now, because I really wanted to experience the beauty of giving birth to my child, and being awake for it. I cry almost every day, because I am so scared and sad as to what is going to have to happen. I talk to others about it, but no one sems to understand, because they dont have scoliosis, and dont know what its like. So far my pregnancy has been wonderful, and I would do it again in a heart beat if it werent for the way I have to "give birth." Can anyone relate or have any advice or stories for me, please share!!
                          Thank you,
                          6 months scared

Comment

Kendra
                            Chin up and smile I had the same feeling you do but now I'm 42 with a 17yr old son and a 5 yr old daughter ( no thats not a typeing error) yes it's a big age difference. But I had the same experience with both general anst. with c-section but both was wounderful experiences with 2 healthy kids. Yes I would have loved to be awake to see the births but to wake up and see daddy's eyes says it all. And the best thing ever my OB never let me go in labor they were both planed c-section you know show up at the hospital go to sleep and wake up with a beautiful newborn to take home.

Comment

thank you sseymour,
                              I do have faith that everything will be O.K., sometimes it just feel like I am the only one in the world having this experience. I see and hear about all these beautiful babies being born naturally, and feel like I am going to miss out on something unbelievable. How long were you asleep for? I am scared I will be asleep for too long, and miss out on things that I should be awake for. Also, did you have the same experience with the breathing tube worry, and were your babies affected at all by the gen anesth? The doctor had mentioned the baby might be sleepy when born because of that. Thank you again for your response, it means the world to me!
                              THank you,
                              kendra0310

Comment

Working...
                              X