Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after surgery

Greetings!
    my boyfreinds daughter had surgery in late june. Her back was out at 83 degrees.
    they said they could only put her spine at 30 degrees due to how bad her curve was.
    she is home now, and i went to see her. she is getting around wonderful.
    But she still looks like the curve is still where it was before the surgery.
    could it be swelling? AND Is swelling like this common?
    please inform me.
    The surgeon didn't tell her parnets very much about what to expect.
    Thank You,
    It could be that her body still has to adjust to where her spine is. It hasn't been very long and it takes time.

I'm not sure if there could be swelling as I never had the surgery, but I have read that every day gets better and better It wouldn't hurt to do a search on swelling up on the task bar here.

Welcome to the NSF forums by the way.
    I hope you get all the answers you're looking for!
    Age 28
    diagnosed at age 12
    wore a boston brace until age 14
    No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
    T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
    L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
    2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
    2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

That's what I figured.
      It just made us really nervous to see her with the hump still.
      It was a 10 hour surgery, so we are hoping for the best!
      Thank You!

Comment

Ah, I didn't know that she had a hump to begin with.. I have a pretty bad rib hump myself. I have read of some people losing the hump completely or at least partially with the surgery. (I'd be happy with either since it drives me crazy that I can't sit back against hard chairs without turning to my left!)

Did she have the rib hump worked on during the surgery? I know that they can do a procedure which involves taking parts of the rib out and attaching the leftover pieces.. kind of shrinking the ribs to shrink the hump.

You boyfriend might know more about what the surgery included. I think you really have to wait until she recovers more, especially if there is swelling. People who had the surgery who had rib humps before might better answer the question. Sorry I can't be more help

Let us know how she's doing
        Age 28
        diagnosed at age 12
        wore a boston brace until age 14
        No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
        T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
        L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
        2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
        2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

Karma,

I had a 72 degree curve and now after 2 surgeries a 52 degree. Swelling will take a while to go down, but the hump won't. I still have mine although it is quite a bit smaller, in a swim suit and tight shirts you know its there. I was told by my surgeon that the only way to get rid of the hump is to take out a couple of ribs. This is due to the fact that with scoliosis patients their spine twist kind of like a pretzel forcing the rib cage out of alignment. There is one important thing I can suggest to her. Stand and walk as straight as you can because if you give into the aches and pains that go along with this disease you will end up walking crooked. I know I do now and my husband is always telling me to stand up straight and I say "I am". My hips are now off by 2 inches. My surgeon suggests a shoe lift. I would rather have lifts somewhere else ha ha. I am 40 years old so things are moving south. Tell your friend to keep up the great recovery, it sounds like she is doing well. My best wishes for a speedy and straight recovery.

Dawn

Comment

Working...
          X