View Full Version : Had spinal fusion in 1968 looking for info on complications now as an adult

07-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I had a spinal fusion in 1968 (8 vertabrae) that was performed at Orthopedic Hospital in Los Angeles. Dr Robert Treat was the attending surgeon but has since passed away. I was 12 years old and up to a year ago I lived a pain free life. I had 4 children all without incidence and now Im experiencing pain under my left rib cage which radiates to the back. My upper spine is now curved and in pretty bad shape. Im wondering if anyone knows if there is a relationship between scoliosis and abdominal problems. Im in a great deal and am trying to self diagnose. I beleive that I would be a great candidate for a research program on scoliosis...so any tips advice or recommendations would be wonderful... :eek:

07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
You need to find a orthopedic doctor that deals with adult scoliosis patients. Do you know what kind of rods you had put in? You may have an area of "non fusion" which may be what is causing pain. If you have a non fusion, the curve in your spine is very possibly becoming worse.

You might also want to post your request for information under "Adult Patients" to get more of a response from the forum.

07-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Thank you...it was a bone fusion...the rod was either not an option at that time or was not yet being used. Thanks for the input..and will take your suggestion and post on the adult forum

07-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi Ariana...

Not sure what you mean by abdominal problems. If you're talking about pain, I'm guessing that the spine can cause pain in the abdominal area, although I don't think it's very common. If you're talking about gynecological or intestinal problems, I doubt they're connected to your scoliosis. However, I'm not a physician. I second the recommendations to see a specialist.