Implants for a 4 years old child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implants for a 4 years old child

Dear’s friends any of you know about implants for an anterior approach fusing surgery in children 4-5 years old. My daughter’s doctor tell me they are planning to adapt her an adult cervical titanium implant because for that age nobody builds implants around the world.

Carlos,
    I seen your reply on wanting information on Shriner's Hospitals, I hope these numbers help. I am sure that if you call the toll free numbers, they can connect you with the exact hospital. If you need anymore help finding anything, just let me know and I'll try and help, I'll be here until the 18th then our daughter has her spinal fusion surgery on the 19th. Good Luck
    Tracy

To refer a patient to the St. Louis Shriners Hospital, referring physicians can contact Chief of Staff Perry L. Schoenecker, M.D. Application forms can also be obtained by calling any Shrine Temple or Shrine Club, or one of the toll-free information numbers: in the United States, 1-800-237-5055; or in Canada, 1-800-361-7256.

For emergency burn admissions to one of the Shriners Hospitals that treat burns, referring physicians should telephone the chief of staff at the Shriners Hospital in Boston, Cincinnati, Galveston, or Sacramento and indicate that the patient needs emergency care. Non-emergency admissions of burn patients for reconstructive or plastic surgery can be arranged in the same manner as orthopaedic admissions at the nearest Shriners Hospital for Children.
    Supporting Shriners Hospitals

To make a donation to Shriners Hospitals for Children, you can send a check, made payable to "Shriners Hospitals for Children," to any of the 22 Shriners Hospitals (see addresses of individual hospitals) or to the Office of Development, International Shrine Headquarters, 2900 Rocky Point Dr., Tampa, FL 33607-1460. To make a donation in memory of or in honor of another individual, just include a note indicating who the donation is in honor of or in memory of, and the name and address of the individual who should receive the acknowledgement.

For more information on how you can help support the mission of Shriners Hospitals, see How you can help.

March 08, 200
    Wife to Scott, the most incredible man God put on this earth, Mom to Joshua who is 16 1/2, Megan who is 11 with CP, seizure disorder, sleep apnea, coritcal visual impairment, non mobile, non verbal, and scoliosis, but the GREATEST blessing we could of ever hoped for,who had posterior spinal fusion surgery on July 19th, 2005, fused from neck to bottom and has the titanium union rod wired in place. and Jacob 3yrs.....Can't forget our16 mos old golden lab puppy, Molly.....

Comment

Hi Carlos,

There are several companies that manufacture spine implants for adults and children. My son has expandable implants made by Synthes Corp. Depending on the resources and what company your orthopedic surgeon has a contract with, you may be able to find child-sized implants.

I hope you are able to find help through the Shriners hospitals. I worry a lot about very young children having fusion surgery. Especially if the fusion involves multiple thoracic vertebrae. I hope you can find a different option besides fusion surgery to buy her time to grow. There is a fine line between waiting long enough to have surgery, and waiting too long. If you wait too long, the correction surgery may not be as successful as an earlier surgery. Its so important to have 100% confidence in the surgeon and the procedure they are doing. Good luck and keep asking questions! Especially to the medical professionals.

My best,
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
      X