Emotional problems following surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emotional problems following surgery

I’m new to the forum, and it’s great to read others people’s stories. I wasn’t sure exactly were to post this, but I’ve been experiencing some strange things lately that are related to my surgery about 20 years ago (scoliosis & Sheurmann’s kyphosis T1 to L3). I’ve always felt very lucky to have had my surgery, and it was very successful. I’ve had some back problems from surgery, but nothing lately, but I’ve had some very strange memories, nightmares, fear, etc from the surgery and its aftermath.
    I’m a pretty heathly person - slightly prone to mild depression. This really caught me off-guard. A therapist mentioned that it could be post-traumatic stress disorder, but this seems I little extreme to me. One the nightmares is of waking up during surgery. I know this a common fear of many before surgery, but I don't remember ever being afraid of this. I was wondering if it could be fear of the wake-up test, but feels like actually waking up (can't see anything, can't scream,etc) I don't think the wake up test is done as much anymore, but I'm curious if it is possible to actually remember it.
    Nan
    1983 Harrington Rod T1-L3

WOW!!!!

I never had surgery in my life but, that is something to look out for. I don't have any adviceto give about that but, I do send my best wishes to you on fighting that horrible deprssion.

Good luck!
    Manny

Comment

Hi Nancy...

The wake up test is still routinely done by many surgeons.

I think it's possible that you were allowed to become too conscious during the wake up test, or at some other time during your surgery. It's a problem that has been reported in the literature. I had a bad time with a ovarian surgery I had about 25 years ago. I didn't have nightmares, but when I thought about the surgery, I became quite anxious. And, when I had to have another surgery several years later, I found myself more afraid than I thought I should be. I could swear that I remember being intubated.

Anyway, here is a link that might be of interest to you:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in585347.shtml

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for the info- very interesting new report. Maybe I'm not so crazy after all. I hope I didn't scare anyone. I don't regret having my surgery; it really changed my life for the better. I wish there had been a forum like this back then because I think if I had dealt with some of these issues years ago, it won't be so hard now. This seems like a very supportive forum, and it's been so helpful.
        Nan
        1983 Harrington Rod T1-L3

Comment

I had one horrible experience........after an emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction the anesthesologist did not time waking me up and giving me pain meds.

so I woke up SCREAMING to this horrible pain that I can still vision and feel now,

post tramatic stress syndrom its real
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004