Interesting Research on Pulmonary Function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Research on Pulmonary Function

Pulmonary Function in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Relative to the Surgical Procedure

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/abstract/87/7/1534
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

That is interesting. I have always wondered if there has been any research on that.
    Do I understand the conclusion to say that they did find a decline in lung function and one can assume that the surgery had something to do with it? (I didn't notice a control group of non-treated patients).
    I have been asking my doctors about my breathing problem for years. Their answer was to perscribe me an inhaler, which I stopped use because it was no help. I am in good shape, I do have allergies, but do not see a pattern of when breaths are difficult and anything. Sometime I can't get a breath and I am just sitting down.
    What do they mean by "preserving the rib cage"? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on improving lung capacity, or are they physically limited because of my ribs/back?
    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

That IS Interesting

For the last 3 months, I have been going to a number of doctors telling them how much I am out of breath, spending thousands of dollars in tests. Just today, I got a bill for $1,640.00 just for tests to see why I have been out of breath. And none of the primary physicians or cardiologist could tell me why I was out of breath. I don't know what has been wrong with me. Well, talk to you guys later! Hope that everyone has a wonderful and safe 4th!

Happy 4th! Ross
      Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
      www.myspace.com/ross40728
      Had surgery on 9/20/04
      81* Scheuermann's Disease
      40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
      U Rod Inserted
      Fused from T2-L3

Comment

out-of-breath

My surgeon told me after a thoracoplasty and also anterior approach fusion that pulmonary function is reduced for at least 2 years. It takes that long for all the muscle incisions to heal inside our bodies. I also noted that my chest would feel "tight" sometimes affecting my breathing. This I recognised as chest muscle spasms which came and went. I seldom have that now 2 3/4 years after surgery but I work to keep fit.

What helped me was strenuous walking meaning up and down steep hills and stairs. I am much older and this even worked for me.

Karen
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Can someone explain the results to me in a couple of lines, pleease?

I dont think I understand the results completely.

Comment

Hi...

If this is of interest, you should probably go over the results with your own doctor. In general, however, it appears to me that any time the rib cage is involved (for thoracotomy, which is the standard openinig for anterior procedures, and/or rib resection) in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis surgery, the patient will have some decrease in pulmonary function for at least 5 years post-op.

Note that no minimally invasive surgery patients were included. Since ribs are usually not removed during this type of procedure, they may have the same sort of outcome as posterior procedures.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X