PDA

View Full Version : Can eyesight be affected by scoliosis?

Holgy4
07-02-2005, 12:46 AM
My oldest son, who is 9, was diagnosed with a 13-degree curve 2 weeks ago and just got glasses for 20/50 eyesight about the same time. Furthermore, my youngest son, who is 5, is waiting for X-rays to determine whether or not he has scoliosis, although our family doctor believes he does have a mild case. He was prescribed glasses about 3 months ago. Although bad eyesight does run in our families, their eyes seemed to go bad very quickly - they were fine at the beginning of the school year. Also, I heard through the grapevine that scoliosis can negatively affect eyesight. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Also, would strength training, flexibility, nutrition, physical therapy help reduce any increase in curvature?

plopony
08-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Yes to the last thing you said. Some scoliosis is caused by a-symmetrical muscles along/near the spine, where the muscle pull the spine into an odd position. Having flexibilty and strength in muscles around the spine is very important. I am not exactly sure of the benefits of a healthy diet, but that too, is important.

I haven't heard of eyesight being affected. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 5 and I have 20/20 eyesight. My parents have glasses, which means I am inclined to get them sometime in my life but for having scoliosis for such a long time, with still good eyesight, maybe it affects only certain people? What your describing could just be genetic.

Jules
08-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi

My eysight was affected by my scoliosis, although I didn't know it at the time. It was not until after I had my operation that I found my eyes to be improved and I had to have a new prescription as my eyes had corrected themselves a bit.

titina87
08-26-2005, 01:31 AM
All I know is that I am near sighted and have a slight astigmatism (which some say can be caused by incorrect posture, hence the scoliosis). But thats just me who knows about each individual person.