Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Horton at Emory (again)!

Hey-
    Was wondering if anyone has comments and feedback on Dr. William Horton from Emory Spine Center in Atlanta, GA? (Yes I've done a search and would still like more help)...I live in Alabama now and I am going to have a consultation with him in July...I haven't seen anyone about my scoliosis in 4-5 years and I am nervous about what I might face with my visit...but it's time! Anyone else seen him recently? What is he like?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by HAnn521; 06-27-2005, 02:48 PM.

Hi!
    I've been seeing Dr. Horton for the past 7 years, and in September he will be doing revision surgery for fusion to the sacrum, removal of the Harrington rods and osteotomy to correct flatback syndrome. I've been very pleased with his level of care an expertise. He's thorough and conservative in his approach. He's more "clinical" rather than "personable" in his interactions, but his nurse Jean makes up for this minor issue. I have also talked with three others in the area who are his patients and have had the same or similar surgery. All gave him rave reviews.
    Hope all goes well with your appointment.

Comment

thanks

I appreiciate your reply...I will be visiting him on Friday, July 22nd....I'll post a review of him on the main forum as well, just incase others are interested.
      thanks again, I feel even better about the visit after hearing your comment...

Comment

I'd like to hear more feedback too. I visited him at the beginning of June and have since scheduled my surgery for Oct. 11. I'm starting to get a little nervous now.

Comment

Dr. Horton

My brother had a huge surgery with Dr. Horton a couple years ago and he was just amazing-- you have nothing to be worried about! Jean is also one of the nicest medical personnel you'll meet. Horton is also very respected in his field and emory, as you kow, is also prestigeous. I highly recommend him.

Comment

I'm interested in hearing about your appointment with Dr. Horton as well. I am 31 and have my first MRI and appointment with him in 3 weeks. I was diagnosed in grade school but didn't have to be braced and have never had much progression until this past year. I now have a 42 degree thoracic and 60+ degree lumbar and am starting to experience daily pain. I'm interested to hear from the forum what his approach to surgery is so that I can ask the right questions. For instance, does he recommend surgery freely or only as a last resort? What is his opinion on pain management pre and post surgery? How long will he want to watch for progression before making a decision on whether or not to recommend surgery? (My last X-rays for scoliosis were 19 years ago!) I'm ready to start a family but waiting to see if I'll need to delay my biological clock based on what Dr. Horton recommends.

Comment

Originally posted by tp180000
              I'm interested in hearing about your appointment with Dr. Horton as well. I am 31 and have my first MRI and appointment with him in 3 weeks. I was diagnosed in grade school but didn't have to be braced and have never had much progression until this past year. I now have a 42 degree thoracic and 60+ degree lumbar and am starting to experience daily pain. I'm interested to hear from the forum what his approach to surgery is so that I can ask the right questions. For instance, does he recommend surgery freely or only as a last resort? What is his opinion on pain management pre and post surgery? How long will he want to watch for progression before making a decision on whether or not to recommend surgery? (My last X-rays for scoliosis were 19 years ago!) I'm ready to start a family but waiting to see if I'll need to delay my biological clock based on what Dr. Horton recommends.
              My situation is similar to yours. I had not been to the dr. for my scoliosis in over 20 years. So my x-rays in March (from another surgeon in ATL) were my first in a LONG time. Both drs. recommended surgery but were willing to take a wait & see approach since my progression has not been followed in so long. Both thought that surgery was inevitable. But, from my standpoint, I'm not getting any younger & I know that my curve has increased in the past 5 years (since I had my 2 children). So I opted to have surgery now.

Angie

Comment

Originally posted by tp180000
                I will be sure to start a new thread after my appointment with Dr. Horton to let anyone who's interested know about him. I have heard great things, so I have great expectations. My appointment is this Friday, look for something Monday to get my "review" of the visit. (and thanks for your replies)

Comment

Originally posted by HAnn521
                  I will be sure to start a new thread after my appointment with Dr. Horton to let anyone who's interested know about him. I have heard great things, so I have great expectations. My appointment is this Friday, look for something Monday to get my "review" of the visit. (and thanks for your replies)
                  How did your appointment go?

Comment

Friday's appointment

Originally posted by CajunGirl
                    How did your appointment go?
                    Thanks so much for asking about my visit...it went well. I guess I could say I got mostly good news, as opposed to getting much worse...
                    I am going to post a new thread about seeing Dr. Horton in this section...look for it in a bit! Thanks again...

Comment

Working...
                    X