Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son's surgery

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to let all of you know that alex's surgery was a success. He had it on June 22 and it went great. Recovery, on the other hand, has been a challenge. I spent so much time preparing and investigating the surgery that I overlooked how intense the recovery would be. In my opinion, it is the worst part of the deal.

His surgery was anterior and lasted about 3.5 hours. One of the assistants in the ICU showed me the x-rays that were taken in the Operating Room after his surgery and his curve is no longer a curve! It is a beautiful thing!

His first two days in ICU were very difficult. Oxygen levels were an issue due to all the medication slowing his system down; then getting all his systems running again was an issue, again due to all the medication; not to mention the side effects of all the medication. He was given diluden (sp?) which made him nauseous. However, today seemed to be the turnaround day. They had gradually been lowering his pain meds and they finally got the nausea under control. He was moved to a regular room today and finally was up and walking around the unit with assistance from the nurse and his dad.

I think he gained some height, although they haven't measured him so I don't know for sure and I'm sure he's lost weight as he hasn't eaten since Tuesday. He is on clear liquids now and they plan to advance his diet tommorow.

I knew my child was a strong kid (mentally and physically) but I am so impressed by his strength in getting through this recovery. He does everything he is asked to do, no matter what the pain (and sometimes it literally takes his breath right away) but he powers through it. Totally amazing.

I know that each day will bring improvement and I'm looking forward to him being home.

Those of you who have been through this surgery, you have my deepest respect. Those of you who are waiting for it - it is hard, there's just no other way to say it - but you will get through it. Each stage is a phase that passes you along to the next one on your way to total recovery. It takes time, but you will get there.

Good luck to everyone, Carol

Carol,
    I am so glad Alex's surgery went well. Recovery is the hardest part of this surgery. You will start to really see a change in about three-three and one half weeks. Now you understand what is meant by being on the other side. It was a scary step, but we have all gotten here.

Crystal had the three month post-op today. She got the clearance to lift 25 pounds now. She wants to be riding her horse, but the doc still says no. She goes back to see her surgeon in three months again.

I pray that Alex recovers as quickly and as well as Crystal has. She is going gung ho. There are days she does way to much and has to sleep a lot the next day and her back muscles are sore, but we are getting through this.

Lots of prayers coming your way.

'til later,
    nikki

Comment

Carol and Alex, Congratulations for the surgery! Hang in there. God be with you. Kris

Comment

Carol

Glad To Hear Alex Surgery Is Over And Your On The Other Side. Recovery Gets Better Each Day Its Amazing. My Nicole Is 3 Months Post Op And Is Doing Great. She Only Has Problems With The Stairs. My Nicoles Recovery Was Slow Going She Took A Lot Longer Then Most Other Kids You Read About Here. Now She Is Just Bored Can't Wait Til Summer Is Over I Think Going Back To School Will Be The Best Thing For Her. She Return To School For Only Two Weeks Part Time Then Classes Were Over. So Know All Her Friends Are Outside In The Pool And Running Around. She Is Driving Us Crazy Going Back To The Doctor In Aug Hopefully She Will Be Able To Do Some More Things.
        In My Prayers
        Theresa
        THERESA

Comment

The recovery is truly amazing I had surgery 2 years ago July 1st. Each day will get better...It is the hardest thing you will ever do but the recovery is amazing! Hats off to Alex!!!

Comment

thank you, everyone, for your kind replies. Did any of your kids sorta lean to one side at first? Alex's incision is on his left and I noticed he is tilted. Maybe he is just favoring that side and when it heals more, it will be better? I'll be calling the doctor but I just thought I would see if this is something anyone else has seen. Thank you, Carol

Comment

I haven't been through it myself but I think it's pretty common to tilt as the whole body has to rebalance itself.

I seem to remember reading about it somewhere.

I'm so glad he's doing well!
              Age 28
              diagnosed at age 12
              wore a boston brace until age 14
              No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
              T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
              L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
              2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
              2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

I've seen other emails regarding the leaning to the side on NSF also. Others said the leaning goes away with time. Kris

Comment

The leaning does go away with time. I used to lean over quite a bit after my sugery!!! Don't worry too much!

Comment

I don't know if you have made arrangements for where Alex will be doing his recovery at home, but when I had my surgery, I enjoyed being set up in the living room. My parents moved a t.v. and vcr in and my nintendo (it was the 90's!). This way, I never felt left out of what was going on, and if people came to visit I could lay on the couch (which was made up as my bed) and they had a place to sit. I could see my mom as she did stuff like laundry and cooked dinner, and I didn't always have to wonder what was going on like I would of if I was stuck back in my bedroom. Also, it made it easier to get someone's attention if I needed something or some help.
                    Glad to hear all is well!
                    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
                    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Hi Rachael and everyone,

We weren't sure what we were going to do at first for sleeping and we made the mistake of trying to make up a bed in our guest room since its right next to our bedroom. The problem is the bed is high and soft so once he was in there, we had a lot of trouble getting him out. So, finally, he was able to manuever himself out and he is now set up in the recliner chair in our livingroom and I slept on the couch next to him. He is up quite a bit in the night. He falls asleep fine, but then he wakes up and has trouble getting back to sleep and I'm afraid he will fall or trip when he gets up and is half asleep.

Did you find you had trouble sleeping at night? I think his system is a bit messed up from the hospital schedule and I'm hoping it fixes itself soon.

Carol

Comment

Yes, I remember having trouble sleeping at night. I also attributed it to sleeping so much during the day, my body started getting used to sleeping for a few hours then being awake for a while. During the day, my mom had me walk a little when I would wake, then between eating or visiting I would tire out and need another nap. However at night when others were sleeping, there was nothing to tire me. I found it helpful to have things in reach so I wouldn't have to get up and no one would have to wake up. Like maybe a lamp in reach with a book or magazine to look at, some head phones with some music, or the remote to flip channels. This would give me something to do until I could fall back asleep.
                        Also, be careful about your son spending too much time in a recliner. Although they are comfortable, somethimes the way they recline can cause other muscles to become sore or tight. I would suggest having him trade between the recliner and the couch (or a bed-my parents got a little frustrated as I recovered that I was hesitant to move back into my bedroom!). I have never been able to sleep in a recliner for more than a few hours.
                        All in all, each day it should progress back to his normal routine, so don't fret!

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Rachael, thank you - you are so reassuring! I can't imagine him getting into a bed anytime soon after the time we had last night trying to get him back out of it! :-) I will suggest tonight that he try alternating between the recliner and couch so he doesn't get stiff from the recliner. So far today, he is doing well. Thank you again for sharing your experience to help us through ours. carol

Comment

That triggered an old memory about the sleeping...I remember having a lot of night sweats and chills. I attribute it to being taken off the morphine once I left the hospital. A fan was helpful a little, but that seemed to be the thing that woke me up the most during the night. That's why I moved out of my bedroom.
                            Just wanted to share: )

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

carolnj
                              hope you don't mind me chiming in here, but my daughter had surgery this past november and when we got home from the hospital we tried to put her in bed, that was a disaster. She was very uncomfortable. She ended up sitting propped with lots of pillows on the couch with a otterman for her feet and she spent most of the day there and was most comfortable sleeping on a couch for months.
                              Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                              X