Bad Postop Muscle Burning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Postop Muscle Burning?

Hey, how is everyone? Is there anyone out there who has had postop muscle burning around the shoulder/shoulder blade region? Everyday, I have horrible muscle burning pains around my left shoulder into my shoulder blade region. It feels like someone is putting a blow torch to my back. Has anyone else had this? Thanks, Matt
    Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
    www.myspace.com/ross40728
    Had surgery on 9/20/04
    81* Scheuermann's Disease
    40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
    U Rod Inserted
    Fused from T2-L3

Hi Matt...

I had the same burning sensation between my shoulder blades after my surgery. It came and went, but didn't go away for good until about 3 years after surgery. I did find that I could make it worse by spending any amount of time with my neck bent forward (as if reading a book on my lap). Once I learned to keep my neck straight, I only had the pain occasionally. My surgeon told me that the pain was very common after long fusions in patients with fusion in the mid-thoracic area.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda

Hi Linda. How are you? Thank you for the information about my question. Take care! Ross
      Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
      www.myspace.com/ross40728
      Had surgery on 9/20/04
      81* Scheuermann's Disease
      40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
      U Rod Inserted
      Fused from T2-L3

Comment

I'm glad I did a little research on this site...I have severe burning in my left trapezius muscle but not the right one. It comes and goes but it happens mostly when I am working on my laptop. My surgeon never said a thing about this being a common occurrence after spinal fusion with a long fusion. My fusion can't get a whole lot longer...T4 to the Sacrum! Thank you for the info Linda! I can't wait for this pain to go away.
        Geish
        47 years old, dx at 13
        +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
        Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Originally posted by Geish
          I'm glad I did a little research on this site...I have severe burning in my left trapezius muscle but not the right one. It comes and goes but it happens mostly when I am working on my laptop. My surgeon never said a thing about this being a common occurrence after spinal fusion with a long fusion. My fusion can't get a whole lot longer...T4 to the Sacrum! Thank you for the info Linda! I can't wait for this pain to go away.
          Hi Geish,
          My daughter has been having the same pain in her shoulder. She also seems to not want to move her neck very much, even thought the fusion starts at t4. I asked her surgeon about it. He said that it had to do with the trapezius muscles that are moved around to facilitate the surgery and that they will quiet down in time.
          - Michele
          Samsmom
          Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
          42 Degree Lumbar Curve
          Fused T-4 to L-2
          Yale New Haven
          2/5/08

Comment

Thanks Michele.
            I asked the PA at my last check up but he didn't say a thing about it and seemed unconcerned. At least knowing what the problem is makes it a little bit better. I use a hot pack quite a bit and that helps sometimes. My daughter just brought a great pack home that she picked up at Target. It has a clay pack that heats up in the microwave and then it fits in a sleeve. The sleeve has 2 velcro straps so I am able to strap it on over my shoulder and it doesn't fall off. It also holds the heat longer than a gel pack. Maybe you could try one of these. It runs about $20.
            ~Alicia~
            Geish
            47 years old, dx at 13

Comment

Originally posted by Geish
              Thanks Michele.
              I asked the PA at my last check up but he didn't say a thing about it and seemed unconcerned. At least knowing what the problem is makes it a little bit better. I use a hot pack quite a bit and that helps sometimes. My daughter just brought a great pack home that she picked up at Target. It has a clay pack that heats up in the microwave and then it fits in a sleeve. The sleeve has 2 velcro straps so I am able to strap it on over my shoulder and it doesn't fall off. It also holds the heat longer than a gel pack. Maybe you could try one of these. It runs about $20.
              ~Alicia~
              I will definitely look for it. Thanks Geish!
              - Michele
              Samsmom
              Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
              Fused T-4 to L-2
              Yale New Haven
              2/5/08

Comment

my angel

My daughter just had her 3 month checkup post surgery curve 64/70 her only complaint after surgery was her left shoulder pain and it continues. Her doctor told us they had to detached the shoulder blades and reattach them during the correction. when you live with being curved for so long after corrective surgery your body is in a new position and has to get use to it. Bending your neck to long makes it worse so she props her books or laptop up to take the pressure off bending her neck. Icing daily helps relieve the pressure on the back of the neck and shoulder blades it will go away with time. gentle massage and swimming helps break down the scar tissue that can form around the nerve endings.

Comment

Thank you so much for that info! I had no idea they may have detached my muscles from the scapula/shoulder blade. That sure does explain a lot. I remember the first few times I tried to use my computer just moving my arms forward set of the pain in both shoulder blades. Now the pain is only on the left side and it seems to hurt more when my neck is bent.

We don't have a public pool in our small town and the nearest one would be at least an hour away so swimming is out, but maybe I can convince my daughter that a daily massage would do the trick!
                  Geish
                  47 years old, dx at 13

Comment

I also have that burning pain in my neck and back. I had a very long fusion as well. It's definately aggravated by working at a computer, any desk work, the burning comes on even as I type this message! I'm going back to work in a couple weeks, but luckily I can do shorter days at first. Wonder how I'll manage?!
                    I can ignore it if I'm really into something, but after a while I have to lie down. Pain meds help a little, but don't really touch the burning. I get twitching, stinging pain in random places along my scar too. I've been imagining the nerves 'growing back'... that it's part of the healing. I'm about 2 1/2 months since surgery; hopefully it will go away in time.
                    I really appreciate the forum, it's comforting to read of others having the same problem. Thanks all!
                    Mild scoliosis diagnosed at 12, wore brace for a year then ignored till after menopause when it started to progress. Lost 5 inches in height. Pre-surgery double curve measured @60/80 degrees. Surgery May 14 & 15, 2008 in Philly, Rothman Inst; Instrumentation & spine fused T1 to L4 with screws into hips. Wore brace for 3 months. Good recovery; totally off pain meds after one year. Now 3 inches taller with no hump, but I lean to side in thoracic & wear 3/4 in. lift on right shoe. No regrets!

Comment

Oh wow! I completely forgot about the burning pains after surgery! I had them too, and yes they do go away. I can't remember when mine were gone though.

Brad
                      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                      Still have 57 degree curve
                      2 Harrington rods
                      Luque method used
                      Dr David Bradford
                      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                      Preop xray (with brace on)
                      Postop xray

Comment

I'm only 7 weeks post op and dont have any pain around my shoulder blades anymore. I definitly did a few weeks ago.

I also found that my thighs were soooo sore for the first 2-3 weeks because you have to use them to push up off a chair/bed/couch.
                        17 years old - Female - Canada
                        Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
                        Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

I'm 6 months post op (same day as Michele's daughter, Sam ;-)), and I still get the burning at the inner, uppermost tip of the scapula. I have REALLY felt it these last few weeks as I was moving.

The clay packs ARE great, but I'd caution anyone who doesn't have 100% feeling to avoid them - at least for the first 10 minutes out of the microwave (if you're using heat). They continue to rise in temperature for at least 5 minutes after you nuke 'em ...

I blistered my back *several* times (doh!).

Another way to help this pain is stretching. Lie on your back and *gently* bring each knee up to your chest and hold. The more limber you can keep your lumbar muscles and hamstrings, the less it burns (more feasible for some than others, I know ...).

Regards,
                          Pam
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                          X