Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nightmares

hello all. (again)

Well, my surgery is scheduled for next month, but lately I've been having these horrible nightmares that wake me from my sleep. I'm absolutely paranoid of bending or moving the wrong way and the rod breaking and just piercing out of my skin, or falling down and hurting myself really bad after the procedure, what if I end up dying on the operating table???? (eventhough my doctor has told me this is very unlikely, but could happen), or even being paralyzed!

Anyone here have any insight on what can be done to alleviate the paranoia??
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

I have aniexty so I had my doctor prescribe me some aniexty medicine like Ativan. It really helps.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

anxiety

Hi. I also had quite a bit of anxiety before my surgery. I sort of dealt with it by keeping myself incredibly busy and distracted almost until the day of surgery. I had horrible visions of things going wrong, etc, but you have to put it into perspective that most of the complications that arise from the surgery are fixable. I was actually more worried that I would get sick right before and have to cancel the surgery. Perhaps medication would work for you. Good luck and keep us all posted!
      Heather
      Surgery date: April 20, 2004
      Anterior/posterior surgery
      Fused T-11 to L-5
      Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
      Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
      Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
      Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I experienced the same thing. Like Teresa, I had the doctor prescribe a tranquilizer to help me sleep.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am so glad that this was posted! I am scheduled for surgery in November & have had the same horrible thoughts. They haven't developed into nightmares, YET, but if they are starting now... I know that others are glad, like me, that they are not alone!

Comment

thank you all for the insights. I've a doctors appt coming up shortly, I'll be sure to ask what can be done about that. I'm just so relieved that I'm not alone in this! My husband is great and I know his intentions are well meaningful, but he just doesn't understand in full perspective what I'm going through~ Glad to know there are others out there.

~Shelley
            25 yr old female =^_^=
            Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
            Lumbar curve 23 degrees
            surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
            Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

Brad's ma

Hi- This is my first time to post on this site. Our son is having posterior fusion next week (June 23rd) and he has been getting pretty anxious too, keeping very busy and with his friends most of the time, but also talking to us some about his feelings, which we are glad he does! His thoracic curve was 60* in Feb, probably lots worse now-need to get it over with! I suggested a med for his anxiety at his pre-op app't with our family Dr, but my son said he doesn't want any med-is not a good pill-taker, never has been. Good to hear others share these fears, but I've heard that's the worst time-before the surg, worrrying about it! (I'm a nurse, I know all about post op pain & pain meds after-no picinic!) , but at least not the dread of the surgery anymore! Just wanted to introduce myself-looking forward to "visiting" with you all!
              Sheri

Comment

Sherry, how did Brad's surgery go? My son had his surgery on June 22 and came home yesterday. So happy to have him home! and, yes, the post op pain and the pain medications are no picnic. My son got sick from them. I was so worried about the actual surgery when I should have been more worried about the recovery. Those first two days are horrible. However, he is home and making great strides in recovery now. I figure its all uphill from here. I hope Brad is doing well. Carol

Comment

Working...
                X