Question for the women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the women

I'm trying to prepare for A/P surgery on my 40T/60L curves and a couple of my doctors want me to have breast reduction surgery before my spine surgery to help reduce the pressure on my back. Has anyone else had to have this done and did it help with the scoliosis related pain? Does it help with the recovery after spinal surgery?

People with perfectly straight backs have pain with large breasts and have gotten relief with the reduction. That is an issue aside from the scoliosis.

If surgery is warranted in your case the heaviness of the breasts, it seems, might complicate the whole thing by pulling on your chest and making it all more painful. It can affect breathing. The doctors must have a good reason from their prior experience. Just ask.

Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi JanM,

Unfortunately, I can't relate to your problem, but I would certainly be glad to be the recipient of the reduction. I can only imagine how large breast might put stress on your back. I know after my surgery I did not even want to hang a 2 lb Mandolin around my neck and play music. So, with that said, I do feel like smaller breast would be less stress on your back.

Gail

Comment

Working...
      X