Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery on Thursday June 16th

Hi!

I'm new to this... I came across it and I thought I would join! Well, I'm 17 years old and I'm having surgery on Thursday. I have a right thoracic curve... and I beleive it's about 55 degrees or so. I'm having the bone taken from my hip and all that. I'm very nervous but I'm getting anxious I guess... the back pain just gets worse and I'm ready to get it over with. If anyone has been through this or has a child or something that has and would like to give me some advice or anything important that I should know please let me know! Thanks a bunch!

Dear Vanessa,
    Sorry, I can't help you as far as what to expect from surgery. I would suggest you try www.spinekids.com - it has a wonderful forum full of kids going through various stages of scoliosis: all the way from 1st diagnosis to recovering from surgery. I think it would be very helpful to you, there are many, many young people to talk to, they cover pretty much all the issues you may be facing. Good luck and best wishes to you. I have spoken to a girl named Mandy who has recently undergone surgery and she has been a wealth of information for me. Good luck and best wishes to you,
    FlowerPower

Comment

Vanessa, where is your surgery and where in North Carolina do you live? Just curious. Kris

Comment

Hey Kris,

I live in Goldsboro and I'm having my surgery in Chapel Hill!

Comment

Hey Vanessa-
          I'm 16 years old and I had surgery on May 24th. I have a right thoracic curve--55°... Sound familiar?

I didn't have the bone taken from my hip, my doctor used cadaverous bone, but otherwise, it seems as thought we're in the same boat.

The surgery itself obviously isn't that bad--you're completely out for the whole thing, and most likely the rest of the night.

My biggest piece of advice for you is: GET UP AND WALK. It is probably one of the most important things. I got up 12-13 hours after surgery and my recovery is going great. I know people that were scared to walk, so they waited 3-4 days, and they're going muuuuuuch slower.

Hmm... I really don't know what else to tell you... I was in the hospital from Tuesday-Saturday (ICU Tuesday-Thursday AM)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
          xo Sam

Comment

Hey Vanessa,
            My name is Courtney and I am 16. I had my surgery 2 and a half years ago. Your surgery is coming up really fast. It will be over and done with before you know it. Trust me the whole thing goes by so fast and before you know it you are at your 1 year surgery anniversary! Try not to be to worried and nervous because that can just make things a whole lot worse. If you go into this with a positive attitude, than the whole experience will be a whole lot better. If you want to read my scoli story, there is a link to it in my signature. I talk about the surgery in there. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them. Good luck on Thursday!! I will pray for you. Hope everything goes well!
            Courtney
            Age 16
            Boston Brace 1 year
            Posterior surgery December 12, 2002
            Back in a boston 18 hours a day.
            Maybe done with brace in November 2005
            To visit my website and read my scoli story click HeRe!

Comment

Working...
            X