PDA

View Full Version : what are causes of scoliosis??????

karenmar
06-08-2005, 05:09 PM
i would like to know what would cause scoliosis. i have 3 other kids that are healthy. :confused:

CWTL
06-10-2005, 03:32 PM
I found this article extremely helpful about congenital scoliosis here is the link www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic618.htm

Carmell
06-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi Karenmar,

I have three children. One (my oldest and only daughter) has the typical adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. No surgery needed for her. She is now 19yrs old with a stable 30 degree lumbar curve.

My youngest child, Braydon, was born with severe congenital scoliosis. He is a VACTERL patient. His birth defects are not a genetic issue (at least no one can confirm there is a genetic component to VACTERL birth defects - all chromosomes are normal, etc.). In addition to his congenital bone malformations in the spine, he also has rib malformations, hip issues, a right clubfoot with 8 toes, right leg dysplasia, malformed kidneys, etc. Structurally he is not put together correctly. However, his function is normal (i.e., his kidneys are healthy, he walks/runs, etc.). There are several facilities who are studying the cause of scoliosis (idiopathic and congenital) but as yet, I don't think there are any confirmed answers. I've accepted the statement "a fluke during fetal development" as the cause of Braydon's problems.

Good luck!

MO2
09-21-2005, 02:15 PM
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/s/scoliosis/underly.htm