Measuring curves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring curves

If you have kyphosis and scoliosis. Do you add those two measurements together to get the real measurement of your curve?

Becky

No. Each is measured separately.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Surgery

Is adult kyphosis surgery known for more risks of paralysis? Was wandering is this surgery is possible for adults. Thanks Linda for all your answers. You are a wealth of information.

Comment

Becky...

Surgery is almost always possible. I don't think anyone has reported on the complication rate for adult kyphosis surgery. If it's of interest to you, you should ask your surgeon what his/her complication rate is (which is much more meaningful than someone else's complication rate).

What are your curve measurements?

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda

Dr. Keith Bridwell said 50t/40l scoliosis with kyphosis increased to 75 degrees. He said surgery was likely but possibly now or three years. Respiratory minimal problems. I wonder if it might be to late for me.

Comment

Becky...

I'm not a medical professional, but know that your curves are relatively moderate and I can't imagine why anyone would think it's anywhere near "too late" for you.

--Linda

Comment

Becky,

I know you are an adult and my daughter is just a teen, though she is skeletally mature, but your curves are very close to what her's were pre-surgery. Her Kyphosis was about 72* and corrected to about 33*; her Scoliosis (main curve) was about 46* and corrected to about 14*. She is six months post-op today and is doing very well.

Is this the only opinion you've gotten? It never hurts to get a second opinion. Good luck.

Mary Lou

Comment

Becky, If what you wrote is what the doctor wrote, I don't read that as surgery not being possible. I read it as you will likely need surgery but you can maybe wait for up to three years to have it done plus you have very small respiratory issues.
                Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                Fused T2 to sacrum
                June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa...

It never even dawned on me that Becky was interpreting Dr. Bridwell's comments like that. Thanks.

Becky, I believe that Dr. Bridwell is telling you that there's no rush. If you're ready now, fine. Otherwise, it won't be much different if you way 3 years.

Regards,
                  Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X