Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im new and in need of advice

hi,

I am taking my son in for the first time to a pediatric orthpeadist and would like to know if anyone has heard of Dr John Smith at Primary Childrens Medical Center in Salt Lake City, UT and could give me any feed back (good, bad or other) Also, what kind of questions do i need to ask at the first visit. My son is 4 yrs old and was just diagnosed with congenital scoliosis (28 degree thoracic curve) Apparently he has a malformed vertebrae. Any advice would be great!

Thank you
    Kris

Hi Kris...

You might want to try a search (see the Search icon above) on JOHN SMITH. He has been mentioned in prior posts.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I believe that Dr Smith is the doctor that Carmell takes Braden to in SLC... from what I recall she has nothing but admiration for him. I am sure she will post eventually...

If you head towards Boise for 2nd opinions the docs in the practice Sean mostly sees (Larry Showalter, Howard King, Kevin Shea) are also quite good. Sean had 5 surgeries with Showalter with Shea and/or King assisting. His curve is also thoracic, not congenital however as it relates more to his hypoplastic lung and congenital diaphragmatic hernia.

Heidi
      Heidi (mom to 3 boys, Sean is 9 and has LCDH, SBS, is TPN, O2, and Bipap dependent, has SVC stenosis/stent x4, severe malignant scoliosis fused twice from T1-L2, halo traction for 2 months, severe restrictive lung disease, a CVL and GT, Fundo x2, and is one of my heroes.)

Comment

Hi Kris,

Yes, my son Braydon is a patient of Dr. John Smith at PCMC in SLC. We met Dr. Smith when Braydon was 5 days old. He's been very much a part of Braydon's medical care and well-being. I like to think he's grown up with us I have heard comments from other parents who say Dr. Smith is a bit stand-off-ish, or that he doesn't make you feel validated in your concerns. I can honestly tell you that if you TELL him you are concerned and would like his attention, he will give it to you. He loves what he does. He has only the children's best interest at heart. Feel free to email me (boulderfam@hotmail.com) and I'd be happy to share our experiences with you. Braydon has had multiple back surgeries to correct a severe congenital scoliosis. Today, he is 10 years old and doing very well. If you saw him on the street, you would never imagine what his little body has been through. Dr. Smith is a HUGE part of why he's doing as well as he is. I'd love to hear more details about your son - does he have any other medical issues? When is your appointment with Dr. Smith? etc.

My best!
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

thank you

Thank you so much for your help and support as time goes by I feel a little more empowered like this is something that can be taken care of. Carmell, i will email you some specifics about bubby and i would love to hear more about Braydon and his experiences.

Thanks again if you think of anything more tips let me know. I am trying to learn everything that i can before i see the Dr.

Kris

Comment

Working...
          X