climbing stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• climbing stairs

Does Anyone Have Problems Climbing The Stairs ?. My Daughter Is 2 Months Post Op And Has Pain In Her Upper Back Climbing Up The Stairs To Her Bedroom. Shes Ok Going Down The Stairs. When She Goes Up She Tends To Pull Herself Up Using The Both Railings.

Thanks Theresa
    THERESA

Theresa,

My daughter, who is three months post-op, says that going down stairs really hurts her, and going up stairs makes her "ache". She has some numb areas, and areas that have lots of nerve pain as they are starting wake up. She has an area on her back near the underpant line that's numb and itchy and over-sensitive. She has another spot on her inner thigh that burns all the time. Her stomach near the incision is also burning and over-sensitive. Our physical therapist told us it might take 18 months to a year for feeling to return to normal, and for the nerves to reach their maximum recovery level. Please tell Nicole she's not alone, and that many of the girls feel the same way as she does. She's doing great, and every day will get better!!!
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

I TOLD MY PT YESTERDAY ABOUT NICOLE HAVING THIS PROBLEM WITH THE STAIRS STILL. SHE TOLD ME THAT SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE STAIRS. SO I CALLED THE DOCTORS OFFICE AND THEY TOLD ME THIS IS NORMAL. WELL NOW I A LITTLE UPSET WITH THE PT I'M NOT HAPPY WITH HER. DOES SHE KNOW WHAT SHES DOING ??. THINKING OF ASKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE. SHE IS ASSUMEING THAT MY DAUGHTER IS FAKING. BECAUSE SHE WAS SLEEPING DOWNSTAIRS IN THE GUEST ROOM AND I WAS SLEEPING ON THE COUCH SHE IS AFRAID OF BEING ALONE DOWNSTAIRS. PLUS AT FIRST IT WAS EASIER FOR ME TO BE DOWNSTAIRS WAKING UP TO GIVE HER MEDS ETC.ETC.. SO I MADE HER HAPPY BUT KNOW I FELT ITS TIME TO GET BACK INTO HER OWN ROOM. SO MY HUSBAND AND I TOOK HER BACK UPSTAIRS SHE FANITED. WE MAY HER GO BACK DOWN AFRAID SHE WOULD FALL DOWN THE STAIRS IF SHE FANITED AGAIN. I TOLD THE PT THIS STORY WHEN WE FIRST STARTED GOING AND SHE WAS SURPRISED MY 13 YEAR OLD WAS AFRIAD TO BE ALONE OR HAVING PROBLEMS CLIMING THE STAIRS.
      THERESA (JUST VENTING)
      THERESA

Comment

We are getting our house ready to move Erica's bed downstairs, to be in the dining room, at least for a month or two after surgery. Thank you for letting me know it is for a good reason. I noticed some people went upstairs to their bedroom as soon as they came home from surgery, and I wondered how comfortable that would feel. It may have been you, Theresa, or someone else on the forum. Also, different professionals have different opinions on what is best for anyone. Our vetinarian was recommending we adopt out our Standard Poodles to prevent them from jumping on Erica after surgery, but her surgeon said there should be no problem, unless they actually knock her down. He prefers the 70 pound dogs to little dogs that he said she might trip over! So, we keep the dogs, the cat, and MY snake. Thanks for your thoughts on the effects of stairs on post-surgery. Kris

Comment

Hey Kris
          Nicole Got A 2 Year Old Maltese Petey He Weights About 8 Pounds. He Sleeps With Her All The Time In Bed. A Couple Of Times He Did Jumped On Her And It Hurt But Not That Bad. The Bed Downstairs Worked Out To Be The Best Thing For My Nicole And Me. Don't Forget The Toliet And Shower Seat. They Told Us We Didn't Need These Things But I'm Glad We Had Them. Kris I Had Gotten A Toliet Seat From My Dad It Was A Raised Seat With No Handles. She Was Very Unhappy With This Seat. I Needed To Help Her Up And She Had Nothing To Pull Herself Up With. So I Ran Out A Got The One With The Bucket And Handles. We Ditched The Bucketand Place It Over The Toliet Worked Out Well And Nicole Was Able To Keep Her Dignity.
          Theresa
          THERESA

Comment

I am glad to see you all are keeping your pets. I can't imagine getting rid of our dogs, cats, sheep, or horses because of Crystal's surgery. She would of been pretty unpopular at our house for that one. Remember, recovery from surgery is only temporary and to get rid of your beloved pet is permanent. Not that the pet should take a priority in the family, but you will be surprised to how quickly these kids start to recover. Our 50 pound dog was so excited when we brought Crystal home from the hospital, that she jumped up on Crystal, got a quick scolding and then some love from Crystal. Something to offer your child in the bathroom is a pillow behind their back. It does two things: 1) keeps their back from hitting the cold back of the toilet, and 2) pads their back if they need to lean back a little bit.

Good to see everyone is recoverying or getting ready to recover from surgery. Crystal is going 900 miles per hour. She has a huge livestock show with her sheep next week and is pretty excited. I on the other hand am tired of fitting sheep for the show. Thank goodness we only have two sheep left to get ready and they will be done this afternoon.

Keep up the great work and see you later.

nikki

Comment

Theresa, my guess would be that Nicole is using those muscles she hasn't used in a while and it's making her ache. See if you can get her to use her legs more and less with her arms pulling her. Tara started going up and down the stairs the first day home and she was extra sore in her hips for a few days and the Dr said it was from the stair climbing but it was fine. If Nicole keeps at it for a couple of days, it will get easier quickly. Good luck.
              Linda

Comment

Working...
              X