Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Count Down

Hi Everyone,
    Well my surgery is one week from Monday. Work has been crazy in trying to tie up lose ends, transfer cases, court reports and meetings. I seem to be working from Dawn to midnight and the same on the weekends. I have been going to physical therapy for the pain to avoid pain meds. Keeping my exercises up as best as possible. Gee for all the work I should be going on a European Vacation instead of the hospital. It is hard to sit still these days. At least I sleep because I just drop into bed at night. I work with emotionallly disturbed children as a therapist and one child walked up behind be and started beating me on the back screaming bad back I hate you. Well gee I had those same thoughts as a child I think. The week has been very emotional as the children have such a difficult time with change. Most have no families. It's hard not to feel a little guilty like I'am abandoning them because they have such difficulty with attachments and adults seem to always let them down. Wew, sorry about the wordiness I guess I just needed to spill my guts a little. Just keeping you posted. I get so much out of reading everyone's posts. I have learned an incredible amount of information. It was 1964 when I learned I had scoliosis and went into my first milwakee brace. Many years have gone by since then.

Thanks for Everything!
    Christine

Good Luck Christine!!! I know it might be tough, but do try to take it easy this next week and get your rest. You want your body to be as healthy as possible going into your surgery. My hospital offered a relaxation class prior to my surgery and it really helped me with relaxing and resting in the 2 weeks leading up to my surgery.

We're all here for you and please update us after the surgery when you feel up to it!

Heidi

Comment

surgerysoon

Thanks Heidi for your warm wishes and support. This coming week I will be only working two days and have family coming in. I'll get my nails and hair done and get a massage. Then I'll be ready

Take Care
      Christine

PS When was your surgery and how are you doing??

Comment

You're welcome Christine! Sounds like you've got some fun lined up for this coming week...good for you!

My surgery was on Feb 1st of this year. I'm doing pretty well. Still a bit stiff and starting to feel some pain from the hardware at the top of my fusion, but I'm hoping that after gaining back some weight, that will go away, at least slightly. Finding that I can do more and more with each passing week and now that the weather has finally warmed up here in the Northeast, I'm not as achy.

Enjoy your visit with your family this week and again...Good Luck!

Comment

count down

Hi Christine... That's great that you have some appointments set up before my surgery. I remember I had my hair cut and highlights put in, and I got my legs waxed also since I knew I wouldn't be able to shave for a while. I also had a full body massage the day before to help me relax.
          Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted!
          Heather
          Surgery date: April 20, 2004
          Anterior/posterior surgery
          Fused T-11 to L-5
          Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
          Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
          Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
          Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Surgery Soon

I finished my pre registration at the hospital and everything is set. Thank you all for the support. I will try to get email set up at home so I can touch base now and then.

Take Care!
            Christine

Comment

Good luck to you

Keep us posted as to your progress. I certainly am wishing you the best. This forum has really helped me even though my surgery is 3 months + away. I have gotten dental appointments done, car inspected, plan to get hair highlights and a wax job and pedicure on my legs closer to the date. I have bought no rinse shampoo and cleanser for when I can't shower yet. I also have a type of shampooer I got from Drugstore.com that already has the shampoo and conditioner in it and you just throw it away after you use it, so that someone could wash your hair for you until you can get in the shower. I have started to pack my hospital bag already--I guess I am a little obsessive. I have a room freshener to take away the hospital smell, body lotion that smells good, "brushups" for when I can't brush my teeth but need to, word puzzles (if I can concentrate later when recuperating), cozy socks, non-slip house shoes, long cotton T-shirts to wear under my brace, and plan to take my portable music player with earphones. I know I won't be able to have these things right away but when I am in my normal hospital room I will like having them. Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Judy K.

Comment

Working...
              X