Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to be concerned about itching incision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to be concerned about itching incision?

Hi:

My daughter Caitlin is four weeks post-op. She's starting to be troubled by itching sensations on the incision. I have read that this is perfectly normal, but also recall that for Tara, this was a sign of infection. Any thoughts on how to distinguish the itching associated with normal healing from itching that indicates something more sinster? (The incision looks fine -- no redness, swelling or discharge -- but I vaguely recall that Tara's did as well....)

Cheers - Patricia
    Patricia
    Scoli Mum from New Zealand
    Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
    Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Hi Patricia...

I think that as long as the incision looks fine, you don't need to worry about it. The times that I've seen postop infections, the wound starts to open and the surrounding area is inflamed.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Patricia...

Having had two surgeries to repair a badly fractured elbow (one in January and one in May) I can honestly say that itching is not always a bad thing. My incision is about 4 inches long, and it itches, sometimes badly. There is no redness or swelling or anything that looks bad. No fever, no rash nothing that would indicate an infection. Most the time itching is a sign of healing. There is a rapid race the tissue in that area is doing to heal and regain the normalcy it needs. Also, the area below my incision has grown lots of fluffy hair - my kids think its funny that my arm has all this extra hair on it now. The ortho said its normal, even in fractured limbs that aren't surgically repaired to have extra hair growth. The theory being again that the tissue is rapidly trying to repair itself.

The other thing I learned from my ortho is that scar tissue is very dry. Moisturizing cream helps to keep it soft and maybe it would help the itching. I also put neosporin/bacitracin ointment on my incision once every 2-3 days, for about a week. That seems to help the itching too.

Good luck!
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi Patricia,

Our experience was similar, when those nerves started to connect, my daughter's incision was quite itchy. I would guess it's just things starting to wake up, and the nerves starting to reconnect. As long as there is no excessive redness, swelling or discharge, you're doing great! A little itching now is preferrable to long term numbness. Hugs to you and your daughter. The healing process is kind of two steps forward, one step back. In time, it will all be worth it.
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Iching is just the insicion healing! [/SIZE]
          Erika
          Posterior spinal fusion 2001
          52* before first surgery
          23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
          33* before surgery
          30* after surgery

Comment

Working...
          X