Could it be the hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could it be the hardware?

I have been experiencing a sharp, sometimes burning sensation near the top of my fusion, just to the side of my spine. I think it's the hardware because when I touch that area, I can feel something there. I am pretty thin now (started out at 5'0, 105lbs and am now 5'1, 95lbs) and have read that sometimes the thinner you are, the more aware of the hardware you can be.

I see my surgeon next Wednesday and am very interested to see what my x-rays show in that area. I'm just concerned with the sudden onset of pain in that area and another area lower in my back on the same side that seems aggrevated at night when I lay down. Until a few weeks ago, I had no pain or ache on this side of my back, only the right side where the thorocotomy was done. Has anyone else felt anything like this stinging pain? If so, what did you find was causing it and what did you do to alleviate it?

I've tried heat, ice and Tylenol, but nothing seems to touch it.....

Thanks!

Hi Heidi...

One of my rods is prominent at the top. When I touch it, I can tell that it's metal and not bone. I also have a burning pain that comes and goes. I think I can control it somewhat by concentrating on keeping my shoulders back.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

surgery pain

Heidi:
      YOu had your surgery Feb 1, mine was the 8th. I too have noticed new areas of pain moving in on different parts of my spine. As the numbness wears off in my sacrum area, I have awakened at night with new stabs of
      pain or areas of burning sensation. These areas usually stay active for
      about a week, then they disappear. I was told by the surgeons nurse to
      expect lots of uncomfortable activity for the first year. I simply accepted
      his statement as fact. I have, at one time, laid over the counter in the kitchen as a sudden horrible pain stabbed me on one side.I have bars running up to the middle of my shoulder blades. I guess I haven't associated any of these pains with loose hardware because I don't do anything. I don't bend except to genuflect on one knee (damned difficult, I can tell you)with my back totally straight. So I can't believe I have a hardware problem-I don't move enough to cause dislocation of hardware. Tylenol has not been effective for me and it makes me feel funny.so I take one hydracodone every four hours, I hope I am not a candidate for drug addiction taking this. It takes care of my aches and pains and I don't feel weird. I am concerned about the effect of Tylenol on my stomach. Anyway, I'll bet your hardware is fine. Kathleen 9the old 63-year-old lady

Comment

Working...
      X