Had one of those moments today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had one of those moments today...

I had a situation today that resulted in a quick trip to the ER. I was at work and felt a sudden sharp pain at the top of my fusion where I've been feeling some of the hardware. Along with the sharp pain, I had major pressure just below my ribcage and trouble breathing...like I'd had the wind knocked out of me. I could barely talk to tell my co-worker what was wrong with me.

After about 10 mins. later, with 2 co-workers and my boss surrounding me in a conference room and security being called, the pressure went away (I think it might have been a gas bubble...very embarassing), my breathing got a bit better but the pain in my back stayed. A co-worker brought me to the ER because I've been feeling this hardware for a couple of weeks now, mostly when I lay down and take deep breaths and I was paranoid that something might have happened to it. I have seasonal allergies and have been sneezing A LOT lately...thought I might have dislodged something. They checked me out, reassured me that unless I had been in a car accident or fallen, or done something really out of the norm, the hardware would be fine and decided that it was just muscle pain and nothing serious. They gave me some Tylenol and sent me on my way....I felt like such a dork. All I could think was that something dislodged and had hit a lung or something....luckily, everyone involved was very understanding of my worries...still, it was a bit embarassing.....
    Last edited by HGD24; 05-27-2005, 07:41 AM.

Hi Heidi...

I have to tell you that what you've gone through is pretty normal. I know very few of us who didn't question that something has gone wrong with our implants. Believe it or not, I was convinced in January that something was wrong with my implants... 13 years after my surgery. Sorry that your insecurity had so many witnesses. :-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Heidi. I have definitely had some fears that something has gone wrong with my hardware. It would take an awful lot of force to jolt the hardware. After my surgery, everytime I did something for the fist time, swimming, etc, I was worried I would knock the hardware loose. You're not alone!
      Heather
      Surgery date: April 20, 2004
      Anterior/posterior surgery
      Fused T-11 to L-5
      Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
      Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
      Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
      Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance! I guess the fear will always be in the back of my mind, but I feel much better having gotten the first panic attack over with. I'll know to be more patient in the future before rushing to any conclusions, that's for sure!

Comment

Working...
        X