Any Gymnasts Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Gymnasts Here?

My daughter has wondered if she will be able to continue tumbling after surgery. She is so close to getting her back tuck and is worried about being able to cheer in college.

I have heard that back bends are a no-no, but our Dr. has said that she will be able to tumble a year afterwards.

Any input on this?
    _____
    Mary
    Mom of Deb, Surgery Sched. 6/6/05

hi mary
    my daughter is 7 months post op and i haven't asked the dr., but on our list of restrictions it does say no gymnastics ever. I will talk to him about that. My daughter was a cheerleader and i think her cheering days are over. To be on the team in high school you have to do gymnastics and also my daughter was a flyer, there is no way with rods in her back i would let her do any of that. I just worry too much about anything going wrong with the rods and fusion for her to be jumping around like that again. It is sad that i don't think she'll be able to do that again, but she is feeling really good.
    Pre-surgery was definitely worse and more stressful then post op. Now it's just hard waiting the year to be able to do the things she wants to do.
    good luck with your daughters upcoming surgery.
    Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer-

Thanks for your information. It is sad that these girls must give up their sport. Please let me know what your Dr. says. We were sort of hoping for a scholarship.

On that note, does anyone know of any scholarships available to kids who have gone through surgery, or living w/ scoliosis?
      _____
      Mary

Comment

i had an anterier spinal fusion about two years ago, Iam not able to tell you how your doctor will respond to the question of tumbling but do ask. After a year my mom asked my doctor and now im one of my cheerleading squads only tumblers, anything is possible and i hope for the best with your daughter.

Comment

Hi swtpopcorn,

Our doctor said no competitive gymnastics ever. My heart goes out to your daughter. My daughter has always dreamed of being an astronaut, and God knows she has the smarts and the determination. With a spinal fusion, that dream is one she will need to shelve. When I start to feel sorry for her, I think about other parents and children we met in the hospital with much more difficult diagnoses, and uncertain futures. Our daughter has a beautiful straight back, and she is pain free, so we count ourselves as lucky. We're just going to have to give our daughter our love and support as she changes gears, and picks a different path for herself.

I think the National Scoliosis Foundation should start a scholarship for AIS kids! Maybe they could offer scholarships to kids with scoliosis who choose to go into a science field, or something like that!
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Jas07-

thanks for the encouraging reply!
            We will definately see how she heals up and continue to bug our Doctor!
            _____
            Mary

Comment

I'm sorry to say this but she will probaly not be able to the pain will be to bad and the rods with inhibit her from doing them technicaly it won't mess anything to do it but it probaly won't be possible just let her enjoy it before the surgery
              Erika
              Posterior spinal fusion 2001
              52* before first surgery
              23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
              33* before surgery
              30* after surgery

Comment

Originally posted by swtpopcorn
                Jas07-

thanks for the encouraging reply!
                We will definately see how she heals up and continue to bug our Doctor!

hope she's doing great, it's over a year after her surgery, wanted to know if she's able to do tumbling and is back to cheerleading? my daughter is a cheerleader and also is a tumbler who may have to have surgery.

right now 40 upper and 40 lower - in boston brace

Comment

My daughter was a gymnast before her surgery and was told that her days are over. She also did diving and was hoping to be on the diving team in high school. She is almost 6 months post op and doing better as far as her restrictions. She was quite upset at first when she couldn't do what she did before. I think that was the hardest thing for her to accept that her fusion had to heal and she would have to take it easy the first year. She is now interested in the medical field and will start volunteering at a hospital. Good luck.

Marilyn

Comment

athletes

It's been nice to read about some of the struggles parents of athletic teens have been through. My 15 year old daughter was/is a high profile fast pitch softball player who has a definite future for a college scolorship and plays for a team that has the interest of college coaches across the country. Deciding to have her surgery was one of the hardest decisions our family had to make. She did NOT want to give up her athletics (also involved in high school volleyball & track). But her options were limited to surgery, which she had in Dec 2005. They agreed to leave her lower-lumbar curve for the time being, in hopes that it would better itself due to the upper-thorasic curve correction. She recovered nicely and was off of drugs within two weeks. She has amazed us all with her recovery and with her attitude. And although she was relesed to play softball again, even her doctor said (at 9-months post op) no gymnastics, ice hockey, football or roller coasters. I won't lie, she has suffered some set-backs. She has had a couple of hard body-contact hits (and a hard fall) and the twisting of her spine has caused a great deal of pain in her lower back (and has scared us witless). She has been back to the emergency room for x-rays several times after getting hurt, to be sure that everything is okay...and it is (praise God) and she has also come back from that to continue playing. She is determined to get through this as quickly as possible and trys to pretend that she is "just like everyone else". But we all know differently. As for now her lower curve is starting to increase...and she is at the wait and watch phase again, with the possibility of a second fusion surgery in her future. I know she will never be like all the other kids...but her attitude is that SHE WILL, and that counts for more than anything. Hope you all find some hope in this.

Comment

i did gym and alot of dance and i had to stop all of it all together but gradually i will be able to get back to doing dance but never gym

fay xxx
                      Fay... curves of 50* and 55* now 16 * after op.

Comment

Working...
                      X