Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Everyone

Hey everyone.

My name is Debbie Green, I'm 15 and was diagnosed with Scoliosis about a year a go. I have an 's' shaped spine, the top curve measuring about 55 degrees, the bottom one is 35 degrees. I am due for an operation on the 7th June. Problem is though I just found out from a previous blood test that I have high potassium in my blood which is strange because I don't eat much potassium-enriched foods. If they don't find out where the potassium is coming from then I cannot have the operation.

I have never spoken to anyone who also has Scoliosis before and decided to join somewhere where I can.
    I am 15, live in England. Was Diagnosed with Scoliosis about a year ago. My top curve is 55 degrees, the bottom is 35 degrees. I have been booked for my first operation on the 7th June 2005.

Hi Debbie,

My son Alex had surgery on Mar. 28 in Spokane. He also had an "S" shape around 50 degrees on both. I don't know anything about your potasium level, but Alex sailed through the surgery very well. Keep on this site, it's really a great resource!! Welcome aboard!

Lura

Comment

High potassium

A single high reading in a healthy person usually doesn't mean anything. Health practitioners usually order a repeat test to check it out in case it was a fluke.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

thanks guys.

I'm getting really scared now as the operation is coming up. You see I never talk to my mum about it.. we haven't exactly got a great relationship, my dad buggered off years ago. but yeah, I never really talk to anyone about my worries and fears about it, just act like I'm fine with it. I guess that's one of the reasons why I joined these forums, because I need to be with others like me and share my experiances and such.
        I am 15, live in England. Was Diagnosed with Scoliosis about a year ago. My top curve is 55 degrees, the bottom is 35 degrees. I have been booked for my first operation on the 7th June 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by Debs
          I never really talk to anyone about my worries and fears .
          Hi Debs:

Have you been over to the forum at www.spinekids.com? Heaps of girls over there in exactly your situation.

Cheers - Patricia
          Patricia
          Scoli Mum from New Zealand
          Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
          Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Debs, I second that suggestion. Spinekids is an awesome place. There are a bunch of teens you can chat with with the same stuff going on. They will help you out now, and after surgery as well. Best of luck to you!
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Thanks guys! With just five days to go I'm feeling abit scared.. I'm not too keen on hospitals and needles and stuff like that.. wow I'm going to have fun Lol thanks for everything

Comment

Hi Debs,

Please know all us mums are praying for you. We can't wait to hear from you when it's all over with. It's not going to be easy, but it will all be worth it in the end. You're going to do great, and you will have a nice straight back!
                Susanna
                ~~~~~~
                Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi

Hi Debbie,

My name is Mason Green (what a coincidence, having the same last name) and I too will be having surgery soon--on June 16th, to be exact. I have 51 & 21 degree curves. I'm because I won't be having a very fun summer. But at least I'll still be able to think about math problems, chemistry and stuff like that--there's not a moment in the day that I'm not thinking. Maybe I'll discover some new geometric shape or something while I'm recuperating. So it isn't all bad.

Mason "We bemoan and bewail our manifold sins of wickedness" Green
                  Tamara, tired mom of:
                  Mason, 15, has Asperger Syndrome, Posterior Spinal Fusion 6-16-05. 55 degree upper curve corrected to 16 degrees.
                  Daron, 8, has Down Syndrome, but thankfully no major medical problems

Comment

Hello My name is Kaitlin

My name is Kaitlin, I am 24 years old. I have had scoliosis since I was 8 years old. I have been through Scoliosis surgery, I am so glad I had the operation. My surgoen was the best! I love Dr. Harder. It's been almost 10 years since I had the surgery.
                    Kaitlin

Comment

Hi Kaitlin,

I apologize in advance for the 20 questions. I keep a list of good scoli surgeons. What is Dr. Harder's full name, is he still practicing, and what part of the country are you from?

Thanks!
                      Susanna
                      ~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X