Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions? Advice?

Hi Everyone,

I've only posted once here before but I'm hoping to get some suggestions or advice.

I was diagnosed w/ scoliosis when I was 13 and I am now 26. I went to an Orthopedic Surgeon last August. He wanted to do the surgery as quickly as possible. I do not remember the degree of curvature but its bad. I am very hunched over. My right shoulder is noticably higher than the left and I have begun to have pain in my right lung, which the surgeon had told me could happen from the way spine and back are curving.

My dilemma is this: I'm a single mom to a 16 mos old boy. We live alone. I have no one to help me after the surgery. The surgeon said it is absolutely necessary to have someone help me w/ my son for 3 mos after the surgery. Does anyone know of any programs that provide help like this? I was going to wait until he was 5 or 6 because I figured I wouldn't have to lift him as much, but I have been in so much pain lately and the curve is just getting worse and worse, that I definitely think I need to go in for surgery sooner rather than later. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Lois

sammyboysmommy

Through disability you might be eligible for programs through social services. Are you planning to sign up for disability (short term). I have and it is a simple process. It can supplement your sick time from work. There are parent partner programs, in home health care, home aids through SS. Call your local department of social services to get a case manager to assist with the paper work.

Good Luck!
    Christine

Comment

Christine,

Thanks for your response. Do you know if I apply for short term SS before or after the surgery? Sorry to be a pain w/ the questions.

Lois

Comment

questions

Lois,
        I have already filled out the paper work and handed it in to the doctor's office and my surgery is scheduled for June 13th. You can actually download the forms off the internet specific to your state. ie ca disability or go by the local social security office. The doctor's office will date it and send it in on your date you start being off work. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Christine
        PS It would probably be informative to talk with someone in that local disability office to discuss the child care needs.

Comment

Lois, I used to work for an organization that provided help for those who couldn't help themselves totally. We provided light housecleaning & some meals (or overnight companion, etc.). My organizaiton was called "Home Instead". Call the local health nurse to see if they can help. Maybe someone signed on loves children & can help you. I'm sure there are many organizations like that out there. (My daughter-in-law worked in a similar one in Wisconsin, and I live in Texas.) Good luck! Please don't wait too long! My prayers are with you and you child. Linda
          Last edited by crookedspine; 05-27-2005, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X