Surgery Date Scheduled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Date Scheduled

I am a 21 year old male with a 40 degree lumbar scoliosis and grade I spondylolesthesis. My curve is still progressing despite skeletal maturity, but the spondo has not changed. I have seen numerous doctors since I was 15 and I believe I am now finally ready for surgery, as the pain from the spondo and the lumbar scoliosis is practically unbearable. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the loss of spine mobility due to a T9-S1 fusion. I realize this isn't an incredibly long fusion but I am afraid of losing all range of motion near my hips because of the fusion to the sacrum. The doctors say I will walk slightly differently after the fusion because I will not be able to rotate my hips anymore, but is not noticeable to others and it's something I will get used to. Does anybody have an experience to share with a similar fusion? Will I really experience a significant decrease in spine mobility?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Although my surgery is not exactly like yours, I was fused from T-9 to L-5 in 2003 at the age of 42. I had a 47 degree curvature and now mine is 14 degrees. In order to pick things up from the floor I bend a little from my hips and squat...or I just stand straight and squat. I can pick things up from the floor faster than most people can bend over and get them, so I don't really consider it a limitation. I am able to do anything I want to do.

You would never know I have my spine fused. I work a full time job and I walk as normal as anyone...in fact, I can out walk most people. I did have to learn to walk again after surgery. The reason was my body had compensated for my curvature, rotation of my spine, hip higher on one side and hip protrusion of 4 inches on one side and once I was straighten....I felt crooked! Everyone would tell me how straight I looked and I would say I feel so crooked. I had to relearn my new body. Now, I walk straight and normal.

Wishing you the best with your surgery.

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Comment

i second everything gail said, including the part about how you really don't have a sense of where your body is in space for awhile. two months ago i was always asking my husband, "am i standing up straight?" because i had no idea! i usually wasn't...i'm glad to hear "the walk" comes back. i practice everyday by taking my walk around the neighborhood, but a long, smooth, and easy gait is still a goal....
      Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
      T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
      Fused T3 - S1
      Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
      Dr. Robert G. Viere
      North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Working...
      X