Pedicle Instrumentation or Harrington Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedicle Instrumentation or Harrington Rod

Hello everyone. I've been searching around for info on what the best procedure for my 12 year old daughter is and I stumpled onto this site and am grateful.
    My daughter was diagnosed with AIS when she was 10 years old. She was brace compliant for the first year but due to some other conditions (Asbergers Syndrome) bracing became impossible. Her curve is beyond 50% and surgery is scheduled for this July. The procedure is the Posterior one and the Harrington rods will be used. I heard about the Pedicle Instumentation and wonder if anyone could tell me if one is better than the other. Not all hospitals use that procedure I know but I want what is best for my daughter.
    Can anyone help us please?

Hi anchored,

First welcome to our loving and supportive group. You have come to a great place. We all try to help each other through what can be a very stressful time, and then lend support to other parents as they go down the same path. You will find this to be one of the very best sites out there.

Can you tell me whether you are from the United States, and if so what state you are from? It is not common for doctors in the U.S. to use Harrington rods anymore. Also, if you are comfortable telling us the name of your docotr, that would be useful as well.

Looking forward to getting to know you!
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Born in Chicago Live in Philadelphia

We are being treated by Dr. Flynn at Philadelphia Childrens Hospital. My brother who is still in Chicago faxed over an article from the Chicago newspaper which had an article in it about the pedicle instrumentation procedure. I contacted the hospital there but they could only give me limited information but directed me to a website whereabouts I stumbled onto this site. Thank You so much for responding. I am looking forward to any help you can provide and also praying for a miracle.

Comment

Hi Anchored...

Pedicle screws are just one way to attach rods to the spine in scoliosis surgery. As Susanna mentioned, Harrington rods are rarely used anymore, at least here in the U.S.

My recommendation would be to trust Dr. Flynn to use whatever he determines to be the best implants in your daughter's case. There are a lot of choices in implants, and there's no real way for us lay people to judge what would be most appropriate. If you're not confident enough in Dr. Flynn's abilities, you might want to seek a second opinion.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you Linda for your response

I guess I'm kinda thinking about getting a 2nd opinion but as you say as "lay" people it's hard to judge. With surgery scheduled for July 7 (Just found out 1 month ago) it really puts us up against it. I believe the best time to have the surgery is in the summer so that hopefully she would not have to miss the beginning of 8th grade. I guess I trust Dr.Flynn but what gets me is how many people with Scoliosis there are and how they are hearded in and out of that (Not only that hospital but every hospital that treats this condition) hospital for this treatment like McDonalds has a revolving door of people buying their hamburgers. There is just something cold about the way it goes. It's like they can determine how many people are going to be reaching the 50% curve mark and they can forcast future earnings through these procedures. I want the best treatment for my daughter as everyone on this site wants for their children and I don't want her to be looked at as a number. I'm sorry but that's how the doctors make me feel. With that said it seems like our hands are tide and we are probably in good hands anyway but the doctors manner has not won me over and really I am relying more the his reputation and that of the hospital than on his demeaner. Not warm enough for me. Thanks Linda for listening.

Comment

Pedicle

Jill had the pedicle implantation. I know it is newer, but I don't know much about Harrington Rods. They have been around for a while. I think the Pedicle Implants give more mobility. I imagine both are good.
            Jill's Mom - Surgery, Children's Memorial Hospital - June 4th, 2004

Comment

What Hospital Was The Surgery Performed At?

How long ago was the surgery and how is recovery coming along?

Comment

anchored,

My daughter had surgery 5 1/2 months ago and they didn't use any pedicle screws in her back. The reason for this, she is tiny and so are her pedicles where they would have normally placed the pedicle screws. Before surgery her Kyphosis was about 72* and corrected to about 33* and her Scoliosis was about 46* before surgery and corrected to about 14 *. The only draw back to not using screws is that we've found Jamie is MUCH more restricted and for a longer period of time than those with screws.

I would suggest at least a second opinion for your daughter. We took our daugther to five different doctors/three different hospitals until we were happy with the fifth doctor and he is the one who did her surgery. Her surgery was done in Hershey, PA (which isn't that far from Philly) and we were very pleased with the doctor, the hospital and the whole experience.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hospital was Children's Memorial in Chicago

For a "LONG" response, see my thread about One Year Post-Op for how successful the implants are...(sorry I wrote so much, but I wanted to share our success story, knowing there is so much fear and worry out there, I wanted to tell our positive experience) The short answer is they were/are very successful.
                  Jill's Mom - Surgery, Children's Memorial Hospital - June 4th, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by anchored
                    I guess I trust Dr.Flynn but what gets me is how many people with Scoliosis there are and how they are hearded in and out of that (Not only that hospital but every hospital that treats this condition) hospital for this treatment like McDonalds has a revolving door of people buying their hamburgers. There is just something cold about the way it goes. It's like they can determine how many people are going to be reaching the 50% curve mark and they can forcast future earnings through these procedures. I want the best treatment for my daughter as everyone on this site wants for their children and I don't want her to be looked at as a number. I'm sorry but that's how the doctors make me feel.
                    I understand how you feel. So, who is going to decide who gets treatment and who doesn't get treatment so that we don't have to feel like cattle being hearded? ;-)

Seriously, I've gotten used to having to wait whenever I go to an appointment at UCSF. I actually look forward to appointments, as I know I'll get some quality reading time. All of the departments have more patients than they can handle in 8 hours. I understand that I can go to a doctor in private practice if I decide that I don't want to be one of the cattle.

At least we're all better off now that studies have shown what will happen to curves in the majority of situations. The alternative was either sending too many kids to surgery, or not sending kids to surgery and having them end up with huge curves as adults.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi anchored,

I can see that you are pondering this surgery thing a lot. That's your job as the parent. Your daughter is still very young. Scoliosis surgery is rarely an emergency situation. You do have time to plan, research, interview and ask lots of questions. Second and more opinions are always useful. If nothing else, its a confirmation that the original opinion is the right recommendation, at the right time. Timing is another thing... if she does need surgery, is this the right time?

The main idea here is that YOU, the parent, need to have 100% confidence that this is the right procedure, at the right time, by the right surgeon for your daughter. I wish you the best with this.
                      Carmell
                      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi Anchored. You are in a great location, as you're within an hour or two of some of the finest scoliosis surgeons in the country. Please consider seeing Dr. Betz or Dr. D'Andrea at Shriners. They are recognized as two of the very best in the country, and all care at Shriners is free to any child who needs it, regardless of your financial or insurance situation. Also, Dr. Errico or Dr. Bendo at NYU Hospital for Joint Disease, Dr. Neuwirth at Beth Isreal, and Dr. Boachie at Hospital for Special Surgery (our doctor, we highly recommend him). All are considered some of the very best. I have heard good things about Dr. Flynn as well. Carmell is absolutely correct. Get a couple more opinions before you let anyone operate on your baby. You owe it to yourself and her to be 100% sure you have made the right decision on doctors.
                        Susanna
                        ~~~~~~
                        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Working...
                        X