Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life after scoliosis surgery :-)

Hey all. Just a quick post.
    I was first diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 18 when I visited a chiropractor. Within 6 months, it had progressed from a pretty minimal curve to 52 degrees with a big trunk shift! My back hurt all the time and it was really depressing. I had to give up my favorite thing in the whole world- showing horses- because it hurt too much and i was too out of balance to ride well. I had surgery at the age of 20, fusing T2 to L1.
    This weekend I went to my first horse show since shortly after I was diagnosed with scoliosis. We had our ups and downs, but came home with one Reserve Champion Title (2nd place), 3 4th places, and one title of Grand Champion!!!!!!!!!
    It's been a long road, but it has been more than worth it! I would probably never have shown successfully again if I hadn't gotten my surgery done.

Photos of me, my straight back, and my champion horse:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...b/96238e84.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...b/1cb614ed.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...b/efb6948b.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...b/c07f2350.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...b/8f9fef9b.jpg
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Good on you, Blair. Wonderful to hear that you're back riding. Did you ever get the scar revision at the top of your incision sorted?

Cheers - Patricia
    Patricia
    Scoli Mum from New Zealand
    Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
    Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Thank you Patricia!
      The scar revision isn't exactly sorted.... but there is at least a plan of action, which is better than nothing.
      After 6 months of healing time, I am once again a candidate to have my scar revised. So in September, I go back to my plastic surgeon, and go through the process again with probably normal stitches. I'm 99% sure I'll have it done. The scar isn't so wide this time, but because it split open in several smaller spots instead of one continuous opening, the scar is lumpier and appears puckered, plus it's sort of rectangular in shape, and looks funky when I pull my shoulder blades back and together so I don't look slouchy. It actually bothers me a little bit more now than the original scar did, in terms of appearance.
      Blair

Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.

Comment

Blair83...
        I am happy to see you are riding your horse and back to "normal" activities.
        That is great and I look forward to my dtr getting past the year mark as we are still reminding her she must not do things like wakeskate behind the boat and go down waterslides or get in big waves as we just came back from Maui and she could only get sunburned!! At least I protected her scar.
        Yes I was glad to see you posted.
        She had the same scar opening back up as you did, from the pic you posted long ago. Ithink you are the only other person Ive known to have this similar problem.
        She has put me threw some scares this past 6 months with 2 car wrecks(roll over on side) and falling down in the grocery store parking lot.
        I am praying at her 6 mo check up (next week) all will still be in place.
        I know she will be pushing the Dr. to do more things (especially water related..eek!!) I'm worried of course.
        Her scar is still very very scarey for me to look at and Iclutch my hands at the site wondering how it can stay with such a thin skin across the bones.
        Did yours every pull back open?
        Did you have the surgery for cosmetic reasons only or did the Dr think it should be closed better?
        I,m sorry if this is too personal, I feel like we are still not past some hurdels and very happy at least we have gotten this far.
        Thank you for your thoughts..Mamakay
        Also she has pain in her shoulderblades quite frequently, is this normal to others out there?
        now 16 yr old daughter
        with worsen 65 degree upper curve
        surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

thanks mamakay. And you're not being too personal at all.
          The decision to have my scar revision done was *largely* cosmetic. It bothered me, and it bothered my scoliosis surgeon. It was like I traded one deformity for another. But it was also uncomfortable sitting back in certain chairs or leaning against a wall with my scar- it was so incredibly thin- no cushion over the bone. At times, touching it would make me feel ill.

Aside from splitting due to the reaction to the suture, it has not split open again.

I hope your daughter's 6month checkup is as uneventful as mine was. I'd been pretty naughty before that checkup myself, taking up horseback riding again, running, doing heavy lifting, etc... LOL Thankfully, no bad has come of it. Hoping for the same for your daughter!
          Blair

Comment

Thanks Blair,
            I will let you know how the post op visit goes!!
            now 16 yr old daughter
            surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

p.s. blair,
              I felt MUCH better after reading you said you had been "naughty" (ha) during the time before your 6 month.
              Ste also has been naughty and lifting more than I feel is necessary.
              now 16 yr old daughter
              surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Hey Kay, Glad to hear that your daughter is doing great! How was Maui? My daughter went there last summer for her honeymoon and loved it. My husband and I were going to take a Hawaiian Island cruise this August for our 30th anniversary but with having this second surgery we are putting it off for awhile. In one of our conversations I told you that I think Dr. Hanson was my other doctor doing the surgery with Dr. Reitman (I wasn't sure). He was the other doctor and will be again next Thursday when I go in again. I know you all are having this same heat as us, my son and husband just got back from a week long camping and climbing trip to Enchanted Rock in Fredericksburg. They said it would get so hot that my noon they had to come off the rock. Try to stay cool and talk to you later.
                Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                Fused T2 to sacrum
                June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa
                  How good to hear from you, I am so sorry you have to have more surgery
                  you mention something about positive (leaning forward)??
                  And that Dr H will assist again. Is Dr Riechman(sp?) in his office too? I am sorry also you had to put off your cruise. But maybe you will enjoy it later without surgery on your mind.
                  What a great honeymoon for your dtr!!!Yes it was paradise and so very beautiful. Have you been?
                  How is your husband after that scary car wreck from Corpus ?
                  Are you driving or in pain? I am not familiar w/your complications.
                  Yes it is really hot now! We came back on the redeye Monday and Tuesday I drove to Houston to my motherinlaws to get my dog she had been so nice to keep while we were away. It's almost as humid in Austin and hot too!
                  Keep in touch and have a safe Memorial weekend. kay
                  now 16 yr old daughter
                  surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Hi Kay,

This rain is something else today!!!! I hope it lets up soon (I don't think it's suppose to though). I need to pick up my daughter at the airport on Tuesday and my dad on Wednesday. It's also suppose to be raining on Thursday when I go in. Kinda of scary since the last time we had alot of hard rain the medical center flooded, I don't need for them to be losing power during the surgery. I know they have backup generators but I think that takes a few seconds to turn on. I did my pre-op Friday and what they have written on my papers is that I now have thoracolumbar kyphosis. Which according to Dr. Bridwell's site it's basically flatback. I can still drive, sitting doesn't bother me to much, it's the standing and walking cause I can't stay upright without some kind of support.

It took my husband a few more trips to Corpus to get over that wreck. At first, everytime he would drive that stretch of road he would call. I better get off this computer, the lighting is getting really bad. Good ole Texas Storms!!!
                    Last edited by Theresa; 05-30-2005, 10:44 PM.
                    Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
                    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa,
                      I hope you are recovering easily from your surgery?!!
                      I am sorry you have to go thru that and hope you have some support to help you!
                      I would be glad to help if I can.
                      There are so many hospitals in that area I only know Texas Childrens right now.
                      I see Dr H has moved but looks like the same general area as that is the medical center.(I'm so in aw of all that area! It's almost scary.)
                      Yes I know the rain is something else, especially in Houston with the sealevel and flooding happening frequently there.
                      I hope those May/June storms didn't hamper you.
                      Did your dtr and dad come in to see you thru your surgery?
                      I will have to research the "flatback"you described as having.
                      Is that a result of scoliosis/age/surgery/???
                      Well I just want to wish you well and write when you can
                      Take Care, Kay
                      now 16 yr old daughter
                      surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Hi Kay,

I had the surgery last Thursday morning at 7 am. I was out about 1 pm. I came home yesterday morning (Sunday) about noon time. My blood count is very low but all my vitals were doing good. I was able to walk 7 laps around the nurses station so my doctor decided to let me come home with iron pills to build up my blood instead of blood transfusions. I have a combination of staples and stitches in the bottom half of my original incision. I won't get those out until June 17th. If I move a certain way you can feel the staples poking you. I have been sleeping pretty good just have to get the bowels moving now. My groin muscles are really sore and makes for very slow walking. I'll talk more later, need to lay down for a little while.
                        Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa...

Congratulations on what appears to be an extremely fast recovery. I'm sure that you're giving others some inspiration. My only advice would be to not overdo things. People who have very fast recoveries always seem to have some smaller problems later on because they're so far ahead of the curve.

Regards,
                          Linda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Blair - Can I ask you about your brilliant recovery - I had almost the same vertebrae fused 6 months ago (T2-T12) and am wondering about the eventual mobility - slower recovery for me as I am much older than you. What is the range of movement in your spine now? Do you get problems bending the top part of your back to pick things up/wash your face/eat/write? I can't yet tell what my back will be like eventually, still pretty rigid with spasms etc.

Thanks for sending us the pictures - really terrific to see,

Lavinia

Comment

I have very good mobility! From about the 3 month point on, I have been able to touch my toes. Which is interesting because for about the decade before that, I couldn't touch my toes EVER.
                              Since the only real bendy spot in my back is in my lumbar spine, I bend mostly at the waist. Which makes me have to think a little sometimes about just how to do certain things- I still whack my head getting in and out of my sister's car on occasion, I have to remember to stand back from the sink to wash my face, etc... . But now I am working on my agility a little too. I also find that the muscles in my sides are tight, so I'm working on that, and bending backwards too. But i have to watch it because bending backwards makes my back pop and grate...
                              I had intense muscle spasams for several months following my surgery to the point where I at times could not move my head, and would have pain down my arms and my fingers going numb. But I did Physical Therapy (2 rounds of treatment, 6 weeks for the first time, 4 weeks for the second, 3x a week at 3 or 4 months post op, and then again at 12 months post op involving massage, ultrasound, gentle stretching and strengthening exercises. The massage was most beneficial, IMO. The technique is known as myofascial release. It's not the most pleasant thing in the world to start out- I would break out in sweats from the pain, and i had some bruising, but it gets better after a few treatments and it made a world of difference for me). First round didn't "stick" and I ended up going back several months later. The second time seems to have given me lasting results- I haven't been in about 6 months, and my occasional spasams are pretty manageable. Could very well be useful to look into myofascial release if you are still having a lot of trouble with spasams.
                              I am not 100% without my aches and pains, but I live a full and active life, working my show horse 6 days a week, clean stalls 7 days a week, and now I have started running again as well.
                              Blair

Comment

Working...
                              X