UK consultants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK consultants

Anybody has particularly good experiences with any consultant/ hospital in the UK, ??

gerbo

Hi gerbo, check out www.scoliosis-support.org
    The best centers for scoliosis treatment are usually Royal National Othopedic Hospital in Stanmore or Queens medical centre in Nottingham.There are some good centers throughout the rest of the UK and the UK gang on that site will be happy to help out.
    Sins
    Co founder Scoliosis Support Association Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by sins
      Hi gerbo, check out www.scoliosis-support.org
      The best centers for scoliosis treatment are usually Royal National Othopedic Hospital in Stanmore or Queens medical centre in Nottingham.There are some good centers throughout the rest of the UK and the UK gang on that site will be happy to help out.
      Sins
      Thanks, I must admit that I found that site a bit chaotic looking, is it meant to have a large UK "population".?? Specific UK forums do not seem to exist it appears.

I kind of had my eye on the nuffield orthopaedic hospital in nottingham, specially as one of their consultants (mr Fairbanks)appears to be heavily involved in research (lots of articles to his name), also, he did trial the spinecor brace for a while and that is one I am interested in (rightly or wrongly)

gerbo

Comment

Hi gerbo,
        I know a few people who have had surgery there.Fairbanks is supposed to be good and there's another I think called Wilson Mc Donald if my memory serves me right.They've done a few challenging cases that I know of and have produced some good surgical results.However I do have some reservations about their bracing approach.A friend of mine removed her daughter from there and transferred her to Great ormond street as the childs curve was in high sixties.She was told in Nuffield that bracing didn't work and the child was left at age twelve on the waiting list for at least another year.She was rushed through surgery at Gosh and is just home following her surgery.Consultants differ with regard to their bracing approach which worries me slightly.
        www.scoliosis-support.org is a bit hectic as it's heavily used by teenagers.
        it's english owned and run (Swindon)with approx 70% coming from the British isles.Just stick a post in general discussions and the information is in there.
        It's hard to reserve a scoliosis message board for one nationality only, particularly when people now travel between countries for surgery.
        www.support4scoliosis.co.uk tries to do that, but isn't very active.
        if you don't especially want to get involved in the message board,I can certainly put you in touch via e mail or msn messenger with parents and patients in the same situation or who have been through Nuffield.
        Sins

Comment

Hi Sins, you seem to be quite in the know, so I'll expand a bit on my situation. I am the dad of a 11 year old daughter who had in september (without brace) a 29 degree T12, and in march a 21 degree (with brace) curve.
          Surgery is clearly not an issue at all currently, (and i never want it to be an issue)so i do not need a consultant fer his/her surgical skills, but I do need somebody who gives me the confidence to get as much as is possible out of non-surgical management (mainly bracing, I know)and is genuinly knowledgable and interested in non surgical management and is prepared todiscuss this with parents.

Who fits the bill??

(ps, i will post on other side as suggested, thanks)

ps2; any insight in Katarina Schroth clinic??

Comment

Hi Gerbo,
            Thanks for the extra info.
            I can see how you're anxious for your daughter to avoid surgery, and you seem to stand a very good chance of doing this.
            I've seen quite a few people asking about the Katherina schroth clinic recently.I believe someone has attempted to set up a clinic in Uk recently based on the Schroth method but it hasn't started up yet.It's unproven and untested and costs approx. 3,000 sterling for a course of treatment.
            I believe the schroth institute itself has a good reputation and has produced some good results.
            There's a good german based forum http://www.skoliose-info-forum.de/
            where a number of their members speak very positively about their experience there.They have a section for English speakers there.There's a lady called BZebra who should be able to help you out.There's nothing quite like hearing about it from patients who've actually been through the system.
            The Germans seem to be quite advanced when it comes to non operative treatment.
            I must do some more searching about the Schroth institute myself for one of our Irish members who's considering taking her daughter there,so if you find out anything useful I'd be delighted if you'd let me know.
            Sins

Comment

Hi Gerbo,

Having searched extensivley for consultants in the uk, I have finally settled on MR JK Webb @ Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham. They have a dedicated spinal unit & he has a particular interest in scoliosis & scheuermann's (which I have). Their nhs waiting list is no longer than 6 months & I will be having my surgery there despite living in Scotland.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: UK Clinic for Schroth Treatment

I am afraid I cannot really help at this moment in time.

All I know is that the language is a real problem for English-speaking patients, both at the Barcelona clinic (where I went) and in Germany (as I have spoken to somebody recently who went there). Because of the language barrier faced by foreign patients at these two clinics, as you know I am in the process of opening a clinic in the UK offering the same treatment for English-speaking patients, which I hope will be up and running by the end of the year.

This clinic will operate along the same lines as those in Spain and Germany. With the UK clinic staff receiving training from the existing clinics and will be run with help from the medical directors of both clinics, with whom I am in close contact.

If you would like to be kept informed about the progress of the UK clinic, please post your support at http://www.erikamaude.com/scoliosis_ukclinic.htm.

Best wishes,

Erika

PS: I have also posted this message in the topic under physician/hospital feedback. EM

Comment

Schroth Klinik/germany

There ARE studies of their results and they look promising. You can go to the National Library of Medicine and type in Schroth. I posted some links to the abstracts somewhere else on the Forum.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...tool=iconabstr

It does not work for everyone;but is worth a try.

Karen
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

i live in the Uk and i got to the royal manchester childrens hospital but they have let me down now for 2 years on the run so i couldnt push anyone in that direction.

Comment

in what way did they let you down??

gerbo

Comment

Originally posted by gerbo
                        in what way did they let you down??

gerbo
                        i was supposed to have an appointment 2 years ago as i go every year and they said the doctor was ill then the year after they said he was on holiday so i am hopefully going in september unless they come up with another excuse .

Comment

Working...
                        X