No announcement yet.

12 year old dd diagnosed last year ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 year old dd diagnosed last year ...

our daughter was diagnosed last year with a 15 degree curve. We were doing 6 month evaluations until her curve increased 8 degrees over just a few months. Then we jumped to 3 month evaluations, the most recent of which was today. She now measures with a 27 degree curve. Next week we head to an orthotist to be fitted for a TLSO brace that she will have to wear a minimum of 22 hours/day for the next year.

I do have experience with scoliosis as I worked for 7 years for an orthopedic surgeon, however nothing prepares you for having to deal with this in your own child!

Any "heads up" on what to expect? Any tips or ideas on how to make the transition easier? How to handle the summer heat and outdoor activities?

Thanks in advance!

I would be surprised if she only wears the brace for one year. I have been told that it should be worn until the child stops growing.

Comment

Not clear ... sorry ...

The 22-hour/day schedule is for the first year. We're aware that she'll have to wear the brace for more than a year, but the hope/plan now is that we can cut back to fewer hours the second year.

Comment

Originally posted by Momsheart
        The 22-hour/day schedule is for the first year. We're aware that she'll have to wear the brace for more than a year, but the hope/plan now is that we can cut back to fewer hours the second year.
        our daughter of just 11 got her TSLO brace this january and initially it was hell, with lots of crying and being upset and protesting (and that was only us as parents)

we got her to keep to the required number of hours from the beginning (so no building up) which did break her in quickly

We had to constant balance between being matter of fact on the one side whilst showing her that we knew how difficult it was for her

we made the bed more comfortable by foulding a continental quilt, and putting that on top of the mattrass to make it a bit softer, that seemed to help

the one or two hours without brace are wonderfull, however, putting it back on can be even harder afterwards (once they tasted freedom......)

3-4 months onwards and it is getting easier (but we are not allowed to say that to her) whether it is all worthwhile??; time will tell

what the summer and hot wheather will bring; we do not know yet, on the really hot days, we might give her a few extra hours out of brace

activities; cycling, walking, running doesn't appear a problem, sport ofcourse id meant to be good, specially the dancing and swimming she likes, so we do tend to make extra time off available for that (but not a lot, it is easy to slip)

hope you'llall be ok when you start

best wishes

gerbo

Comment

Working...
        X