got my surgery date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got my surgery date!

Hello all! Just wanted to report that I have gotten my date for my spinal fusion. Wish me luck on this one. It's coming up fast. I'm scheduled for the 28th of July. :/

Another look at the x-rays and Dr. Starr has decided to conduct the fusion from T-5 to L-1. I'm excited and both scared at the same time. Being in the military for over 4 years now I don't know how my shop is going to take the news when they find out that I won't be able to deploy in Jan. And if the military will even keep me in. Don't want to get out.

If anyone has had the fusion from those points how long was your scar??? what can I expect? how bad is the pain when they make you get up the day after surgery.

(sorry for all the questions)

thanks

~Shelley
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Originally posted by itsjustme
    If anyone has had the fusion from those points how long was your scar??? what can I expect? how bad is the pain when they make you get up the day after surgery.
    1) My daughter's fusion was from T3 to L1, so a little longer than yours. Someone looking at her would probably describe her scar as "her whole back". From a couple of inches below the base of her neck to the top of her tail bone. However, it's a surprising delicate scar. It really looks more like a long scratch than the big scary Frankenstein thing one usually thinks a surgical scar would be.

2) Her pain has been manageable throughout largely because our hospital takes an aggressive approach to pain management. If there was an option, I would certainly ask for vigorous pain control. Caitlin had an epidural and a PCA for the first three days after surgery. They slowly weaned her from these over days four to six. The big problem with sitting up on the first day was not the pain, but the dizziness and wooziness that she felt. She said that once she was upright, it wasn't uncomfortable, either sitting up, or walking. The getting vertical part was nasty, however, as the room tended to spin around a little. More unpleasant was the respiratory therapy (deep breathing exercises to prevent lung infection). This was fairly uncomfortable, probably exacerbated by the seven ribs they had to break. Throughout her recovery so far (she's 2 1/2 weeks post op) the primary source of pain has been in her shoulders and hips, which can get quite sore. We are told this is normal, and is caused by their being forced into a new and unfamiliar position when the spine is straightened. This is tolerable, though, with her current pain meds, and we have been able to reduce the meds steadily since she got home.

Cheers - Patricia
    Patricia
    Scoli Mum from New Zealand
    Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
    Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Working...
    X