Question about degrees of correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about degrees of correction

My 13 yr old son has a 53 degree right thoracic curve and is scheduled for surgery on June 29th. I realize the purpose of the surgery is to stop the curve from progressing and to get some correction but the Dr. has told us to only expect about a 40% correction due to lack of flexibility from looking at previous x-rays (bending sideways). Is that a normal correction expectation? From what I've read on other posts some children who have had 55 degree or higher curves have been getting correction to under 15 degrees. Is the Dr. just being conservative or are some curves just not able to be corrected much? Any information/input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi

I have many posts around, but one question. Has your Dr. ever asked your son to bend forward to try to touch his toes, as your dr. should be asking him to bend sideways and forward.

Marc

Comment

Hi

Spine's are funny things, aren't they; no two behave in exactly the same way. I can't give the scientific/medical reasons why; but some curves can get very little correction, whereas some can get lots.

You doc's not being conservative, some curves are very stiff, inflexible and aren't able to be manipulated to get lots of correction out of.

It's always difficult to give a "normal amount of correction" estimate, 'cause each spine's a very individual thing and behaves in different ways. I think most doctors hope for 50 percent or greater, but sometimes it's simply not possible to get. Sometimes, they can't even be 100 percent sure until you're on the table.

Just anaecdotedadly, before my spinal fusion, I had curvatures of high fifties and low to mid sixties. From the bending x-rays they weren't sure they were even going to get any correction, as my spine was extremley stiff, and very inflexible. The doctor was able to gain a few degrees of correction, and even that suprised him. .

Has the doctor done a full set of bending x-rays on your son?, ie each side, bending forwards, bending backwards (can't remember which other ways they get you to bend but from memory their are others)

I'm just wondering, are they doing a posterior only, anterior only or an A-P on your son.

Regards and best wishes
      Alison

Comment

LLB,

The amount of correction varies from child to child. I think even if they only get a 40% correction with your son, you should still see a noticable improvement in his appearance.

Mary Lou
        Last edited by ; 05-20-2005, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Our daughter has a similar right thoracic curve and we have been told to expect a 70 to 80% correction using pedicle screws on a posterior surgery, but a patient's flexibility does matter. Are you confident that the child was bending properly for the x-rays and do your second or third doctor's opinions agree? In addition to the films, the doctor's judgement on flexibility is also based on clinically examining the child.
          Mark & Jane, Parents of Lisa
          Daughter 15 years old
          Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.
          Before: PT – 33, MT – 63, L – 32, kyphosis – 46.
          After: PT – 7, MT – 4, L – 15, kyphosis – 32.

Comment

Hello,

My son can touch his toes and put his hands on the floor. He has only had standing straight and bending to the right x-rays (can't be for sure he was bending as far as he could), cervical, thoracic and lumbar MRI's, they found a syrinx around T7 so they were checking for any others. The dr said the surgery would be posterior only. I know any correction would be an improvement, just want him to be perfect (proud mom )

Comment

Hi LLB,

Our daughter's curve was pretty flexible, and we were able to get a correcion from 70 degrees to 20 degrees. We know we were lucky! My suggestion is to get as many opinions as you can afford from nationally recognized spine surgeons, and take it from there. Let us all know where you live in the US, and maybe we can give you somes names for additional opinions.
              Susanna
              ~~~~~~
              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Originally posted by Marc H
                Hi

I have many posts around, but one question. Has your Dr. ever asked your son to bend forward to try to touch his toes, as your dr. should be asking him to bend sideways and forward.

Marc

Yes every time I go in I've had the surgery and still have to it's normal and it's just to see what the spine looks like it sounds weird but it's true
                Erika
                Posterior spinal fusion 2001
                52* before first surgery
                23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
                33* before surgery
                30* after surgery

Comment

Originally posted by LLB
                  My 13 yr old son has a 53 degree right thoracic curve and is scheduled for surgery on June 29th. I realize the purpose of the surgery is to stop the curve from progressing and to get some correction but the Dr. has told us to only expect about a 40% correction due to lack of flexibility from looking at previous x-rays (bending sideways). Is that a normal correction expectation? From what I've read on other posts some children who have had 55 degree or higher curves have been getting correction to under 15 degrees. Is the Dr. just being conservative or are some curves just not able to be corrected much? Any information/input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
                  Many curves are different and it all depends on the person having the surger I was extremly flexable before my surgery ( I did ballet and gymnastics) and I had a 57 degree cuve brout down to a 22 degree curve so it just depends on him as long as it doesn't continue to curve after the surgery, Physical therapy and or a back brace would be something you should look into because it won't be corrected by a lot
                  Erika
                  Posterior spinal fusion 2001
                  52* before first surgery
                  23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
                  33* before surgery
                  30* after surgery

Comment

Originally posted by LLB

Thanks!
                    I have about the same correction as your child is expecting. Recently, I believe doctors are being more conservative and don't go for the super straight correction. I know one girl that went perfectly straight and they had to go back in and "undo" some of the work to let the curve come back. My doctor said that it would be best for my situation and I have listened to him. I have had two surgeries (posterior and anterior) and I have absolutely no pain and I still dance. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions. I know what you are going through.

Comment

Originally posted by brittany
                      I have about the same correction as your child is expecting. Recently, I believe doctors are being more conservative and don't go for the super straight correction. I know one girl that went perfectly straight and they had to go back in and "undo" some of the work to let the curve come back. My doctor said that it would be best for my situation and I have listened to him. I have had two surgeries (posterior and anterior) and I have absolutely no pain and I still dance. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions. I know what you are going through.

Please e-mail me if I can do anything to help you or offer any support

Comment

Working...
                      X