Thoracic Lordosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoracic Lordosis

Can someone explain the difference between scoliosis, thoracic lordosis and kyphosis. Which one makes a significant rib hump? Just trying to understand the differences.

Thanks,
    Becky

Hi Becky...

Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine when viewed from the front or back. Kyphosis is the normal curve at the top of the spine when viewed from the side, and lordosis is the normal curve at the bottom of the spine when viewed from the spine. Abnormal kyphosis or abnormal lordosis refers to having too much of a curve, or having a curve in the wrong place.

Rib humps are a result of the rib cage deforming as the spine rotates in conjunction with scoliosis.

You can find good definitions and images here:

http://www.pediatric-orthopedics.com...scoliosis.html

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey whitney,
      I have throacic scoliosis+lordosis too..
      Do you have lordosis??
      Basically my shoulder blades stick out alot. Also have a prominent rib hump desrbied by my doc.
      I also have kyphosis but it is mainly in Lumbar area.

Comment

Working...
      X