Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a shower after surgery?

Hi,

So the most ridiculous thing that happened after we got home yesterday was trying to shower Ezra. It was complicated by the fact that I am his mother! Anyway, he looked at the shower seat we have and said it was too low, he didn't want to try sitting on it. So he stood in the shower with his athletic shorts on. But to shampoo his head, I ended up standing on the rim of the tub (cause he's taller than I am) and filling a glass with water at the shower head and pouring it over him. I got drenched, it was ridiculous (I was laughing). Then I washed the accessible bits and then I stood outside the shower curtain hoping he wouldn't fall while he let the shorts drop and finished the washing. Then I turned off the water and handed him a towel around the shower curtain and the rest was pretty smooth.

Is there a better way?

We have a built in seat in our shower and that seemed to work well for my daughter. Jamie washed herself and washed her own hair. I would stand outside the shower and hand her the shampoo, etc. so she wouldn't have to twist around or bend to pick up things. What we found easiest after her shower was that I would hand her the towel and let her dry herself somewhat, and then I gave her her terrycloth robe which helped to absorb whatever water was left. To give her a break, she'd sit in the bathroom while I dried her legs and feet and that seemed to give her enough of a break before getting dressed. Don't worry, they gain their strength very quickly and soon your son won't need you to help nearly as much as he does now. Good luck!

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi
      If Ezra doesn't like the shower seat, what about trying a plastic garden chair - arms might make him feel a little safer.

Lorrie

Comment

Cedronella,

I had a shower chair and I only used it two times after my Scoliosis surgery because in a shower there is limited space. I was scared my feet would get tangled in it and cause me to fall. I felt safer standing. Does Ezra have a sponge on a long handle? They gave me one in the hospital and it worked well for reaching all my body parts. If he doesn't, you can purchase one at a medical supply store.

Kindest Regards,
        Gail

Comment

The shower seats are a great necesity. Try getting a higher one. I am very tall too but my seat never felt unsafely low. Also try getting a showerhead that comes off. One with a cord on it so the shower head can be taken off and moved around. It is much easier to wash hair that way. Best of luck.
          Annie

Comment

cedronella,

I would find something he can sit on, at least for a little while. It's not uncommon for people after scoli surgery to faint or feel light headed, especially in the shower. Their blood volume is low, and that combined with the pain meds makes the heat of the shower a high risk place. The last thing you want is for him to fall down and hurt himself. Many shower chairs you can get at the medical supply place or drugstore have adjustable legs that can be raised to a comfortable height. I would see if you can find something that works for him so you don't have a bad incident.
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Should I possibly take Erica in to the pharmacist near us who displays shower chairs and pick one out with her that is of appropriate height before her surgery? Kris

Comment

Kris,
                If you have time before surgery, it would be the most simple. The only reason we didn't get a chair is because our shower is way to small to put one in it. You can't even bend over in th silly thing without your head going out the door. That is the one thing that I would recommend. But, because we didn't have one, I didn't leave Crystal unattended while she showered for quite a while. You can probably rent one instead of having to purchase it. You won't need it for long, but do get one. Recovery will amaze you.

'til later,
                Nikki

Comment

Nikki, thank you. Kris

Comment

Kris, Yes, I would definitely take her to pick one out. A shower chair, and a hand held shower sprayer are both a must in the beginning.
                    Susanna
                    ~~~~~~
                    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Working...
                    X