Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyphosis surgery experience with Dr. Hey

Hi all,

I did not intend to give the impression with my first post that we were dissatisfied with Dr. Hey. On the contrary, we found him amazingly accessible and flexible.

Background: two years ago my husband took Ezra to a pediatric orthopedist at UNC because we were worried about his posture. The doc said: "just a teenage slump." Well, this "teenage slump" got worse suddenly in the last year. When I took him back, to the SAME orthopedist, this time he said: "kyphosis, 79% - nothing to be done but surgery, too bad nothing was done while he was still growing."

!!!!!!!

The treatment this earlier surgeon described was two operations, of 6-7 hours each, several days apart, one for the inside and one for the outside of the spine. And he warned us that often the correction is not as good as one would hope for.

We left his office plunged in despair.

Months later we got a second opinion from Dr. Lloyd Hey. He saw us almost immediately after my call - went out of his way to see us on a weekend - and after looking at the xrays said he could achieve the desired correction with one operation of 4 hours.

So we started thinking about that. Ezra's father was very unsure, especially after what the first orthopedist had said. He talked to many doctors showing them the xrays. We also called or wrote many of the references Dr. Hey gave us and the patients all said they were happy with the results and would do it again.

So we decided to go ahead. Ezra had a lot of things planned for the summer so timing the operation was difficult. Dr Hey was willing to work with us, to the extent of making time on a day which was not convenient for him - and a Friday afternoon, at that! - and he got his surgical team to come in and do it with him! - and he stopped by on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon to see Ezra, even though it was a big weekend for his own family.

As I mentioned before, the surgery went smoothly and in fact took only three hours.

I would also mention that Dr. Hey is the ONLY doctor I know who both answers his own phone and answers his emails.

He was kind and encouraging.

Lastly - by and large, we found the nurses at his hospital to be lovely people. It was just our misfortune that we got the only bad one on Ezra's first, most difficult morning. The rest of the time they went out of their way to help us.

Cedronella, I just read this email. Thanks for referring me to it. As you said, you happened to have 1 bad experience out of all the good with the surgery. Kris

Comment

Glad to hear of your good experience. I was particularly interested in your experience with kyphosis. My almost 14 year old son has been diagnosed with congenital kyphosis, which in his case means he has a 4 fused vertebrae (t8-t12) on the anterior side. The surgeons are recommending a posterior fusion to stop the curve progression but have told us they do not recommend correcting the curve. No one has told us the degree of curvature and I have never thought to ask. Was your son's kyphosis causes by a congenital fusion or was it idiopathic (Shureman's (MSP?) kyphosis. If it was caused by a congenital fusion, how was Dr. Hey able to get a correction with only posterior surgery? Thanks so much for any information on kyphosis.

Comment

Dawn
        Crystal had an 88 degree Schuermann's kyphosis curve and had a lot of pain with it, let alone the emotional end of a 16 year old girl and having kyphosis. Crystal has had her kyphosis since she was about 5-6. We always thought it was lazy posture. Crystal had posterior surgery only. She is fused from T2-L2 w/rods. Her surgery was a huge success. She now has a beautifully straight back and has no pain. This is at 9 weeks post op. She said her back quit hurting, other than pain from her incision, almost immediately. I realize this is different than congenital kyhposis, but hope the experience helps you.

We used Shriners Hospital-Portland. Had the best doctors and the best of care for our daughter. We have another daughter that has kyphosis too. She is in a brace, but I don't know if it is helping it or not. We won't know more on her until October. We are hoping that she doesn't have to have surgery too. She will have been in a brace for a year at that point.

Hope this gives you a littel insight.

'til later,
        Nikki

Comment

Unfortunately, it's my understanding that Shuermann's kyphosis is quite different from congenital and it sounds like it is easier to treat. Due to the anterior fusion, they do not want to try to correct it. I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is doing so well! I guess the positive thing is that my son is not in particularly a lot of pain.
          Cedronella, was your son's congenital or Schuermanns?

Comment

Dawn,

My daugther too had surgery for Kyphosis. At the time of surgery, her Kyphosis was about 72* and was corrected to about 33*. Her Scoliosis was about 46* before surgery and corrected to about 14* after surgery. Nothing was ever said what type of Kyphosis she has. She had posterior only.

Mary Lou

Comment

Ezra got his kyphosis, we think, as a result of the radiation treatment of his spine after the removal of an aggressively malignant medulloblastoma (a cancer) from his brain. That was five years ago.

I haven't heard what his curve measures at since his surgery but it looks good. He's five days out from surgery and was walking around the block with me today. Still plenty of pain but he's gone from wretched to cranky, which is very promising.

Comment

Kyphosis

What was your pre & post op measurements and can you email pre & post op photos?

Comment

His kyphosis was around 80% pre-surgery. I am not sure what it is now.

Comment

Hi Cedronella,

Looks like Dr. Hey was able to get excellent results. Thanks for sharing.

Gail

Comment

cedronella, WOW!!!! Your son looks great. My daughter is almost three months post-op, and although she still gets pretty tired at times, her pain is almost 100% resolved. Our kids are lucky to be living in a time and in a country where medicine has come so far, and they are able to be helped.

Hugs to you and Ezra. Please let us know how he's doing with his recovery.
                      Susanna
                      ~~~~~~
                      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Working...
                      X