Horses and Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses and Surgery

I'm a 25 year old girl having surgery in June. I have been riding horses since I was around 5 and can't handle the thought of not being able to ride. Any of you that ride, were you able to handle horses post surgery, and if so, how long did it take? I figure this is a bit redundant- sorry- I just couldnt find too much info on this anywhere.

Lindsay...

If you haven't already done so, click on the Search link up above and type HORSE in the box and click GO.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey. I had surgery at the age of 20. Fused T2 to L1. I started riding (Saddle seat on American Saddlebred show horses) at 3.5 months post op, and have been riding ever since. I go to my first show since my surgery this next weekend (It's been a year and a half since my op). I'm more comfortable and able to ride more effectively with my back fixed.
      Now, I was advised not to ride for a year. And it took several months of hard work to get back up to my old abilities. But now that I'm back, I think I'm better than ever. I can ride the biggest, bounciest horse and it doesn't bother my back.
      Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
      Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
      Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
      Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
      February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
      September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Working...
      X