Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run after surgery?

Hi everyone:
    Here's a dumb question. Will I be able to resume running or take aerobics classes after I am done fusing? I am about 7 weeks post-op and can't do anything but walk, according to my doctor, which is fine, but when I am feeling 100%, would it be stupid to run?
    Thanks!
    Kat

See my weblog!

Sure can! I felt comfortable starting running again at 5 months post op...
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Hi Kat...

The discs above and below your fusion are at relatively high risk for deterioration because they now take on the load of all of the discs within the fusion mass. Activities like running may actually increase that risk.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

i was never a runner, but i could walk the neighborhood at a pretty snappy pace when i felt like it. not now! i feel so heavy...there's no such thing as making a quick sprint across the street to avoid traffic now; that was a surprise the first time i headed out and cut it closer than i'd anticipated! i have resumed my pilates mat classes and i just joined curves and i'm in good enough shape to enjoy the classes, but walking a few blocks at a smooth, even pace is still really really hard for some reason...maybe because i'm fused to s1? anyway, kat, i've read your blog (love it) and i'm thinking there isn't anything you won't be able to do a few months down the road!
        Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
        T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
        Fused T3 - S1
        Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
        Dr. Robert G. Viere
        North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Working...
        X