Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and epidural

Hello,

Does anybody know if having kyfo-scoliosis can prevent receiving epidural during labor, or create any difficulties with it?

There shouldn't be any problem if you have a good anesthesiologist. If you've had surgery on the lower part of the spine, it can be difficult, or even impossible, to get to the spinal cord.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hello I was operated on my left side in the middle of my back...I've had 2 beautiful children they tried to give me the epidural 8 times in 4 different places, that hurt worse than giving birth. Needless to say, I didn't get an epidural at all.
      But like I said my rod is on my left side and lower back. I hope this doesn't discourage you. What I did is brought my x-rays in so they could see. I've been dealing with this pain for 11 yrs so it wasn't as bad as some people say it is. It depends on you and how the baby is, weight, lenghth, etc. My son who is 14 months now...got stuck for an hour, he turned out to be 8 lbs 2.7 oz. and 21.25 inches long. He was 2 weeks early and I'm a small framed person, 5'2".
      I hope this helps...you should talk to your doctor about what he thinks is best for you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck...Kristie

Comment

Thanks for your replies,

I didn't mention that I haven't undergone any surgery on my back. As I understand, most of the problematic situations with epidural are connected with previous surgeries. Still, I was wondering if the fact that I have kypho-scoliosis should prevent from me the possibility to receive an epidural anesthesia during labor, create any problems with administering it or create any after-effects (besides the "usual")...

Comment

Lily...

I wasn't very clear in trying to say that you should not have any problem.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X