I need some information...please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some information...please

Hi everyone I've been replying to these posts now for a couple of weeks but I would really like to know exactly what "flat back syndrome" is. Can someone please explain what it is and what it prevents you from doing? Also I live in Pensacola Florida, are there any good scoliosis doctors that I can speak with or get a check up? Thank you, Kristie

Kristie, Here are some links for you to go to. They explain it very well. I have it and will be going in June 2nd to have it fixed.
    www.scoliosismd.com/articles/flatback.htm
    http://www.orthospine.com/?frameSrc=...flat_back.html
    www.espine.com/flatback.html

Hope this helps you.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Kristie...

Here's an even better article (in my opinion):

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...rticle308.html

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you very much...you both have helped. I'm so sorry you have to have more surgerys...good luck! I had one at 14 in 1994 I had the "S" curve 87 degrees one steel rod and 4 compression screws. I am now 25 and basically normal except for the constant pain, but I've been dealing with it for 11 yrs just wanted to take the edge off a little.

Could anyone tell me if there are any good scoliosis doctors here or in the vicinity of Pensacola Florida? I had Dr. Brown he was awesome...but he's childrens not adults unfortunatey, I also had 2 more at the surgery one I didn't like and the other I can't remember his name.

Thank you again...Kristie

Comment

Hi Kristie...

Here's someone to consider:

http://www.tlhoc.com/wingo.htm

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you very much Linda!!!
            Kristie

Comment

flatback

Originally posted by Theresa
              Kristie, Here are some links for you to go to. They explain it very well. I have it and will be going in June 2nd to have it fixed.
              www.scoliosismd.com/articles/flatback.htm
              http://www.orthospine.com/?frameSrc=...flat_back.html
              www.espine.com/flatback.html

Hope this helps you.
              thank your for those websites that were very helpful and informative. i was't sure from your post if you were going in to have the surgery or having it in june. i am going for a similar surgery in sept 2005 and i am very scared. it seems like such a major reconstrucion. i am having posterior/anterior spinal fusion with instrumentation. i had two previous surgeries and i am not looking forward to this one. doctor almost guarantees the correction of my saggittal plane which is throwing my balance out of whack not to mention the pain i am in at the end of the day. i hope you do well, and please let me know how everything went. i understand how you feel.

sonia

Comment

Hi Sonia, I had my first round of scoliosis surgery April 8th and 12th, 2004. I had anterior/posterior surgery for a 79 degree Thorasic curve and a 44 degree lumbar curve. I am going in June 2nd for a single level osteotomy at the L3 level to correct my balance and to help with the pain. The original pain that I had is gone, but this one has become an everyday thing. Starts out a little achey in the morning and as the day progresses it becomes a burning type pain in the lumbar area with lots of pressure. I am at the point that June 2nd can't come fast enough. I have had to go back to taking prescription pain meds after being off of them for awhile. Good Luck with your surgery and take one day at a time.
                Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
                MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

flat back syndrome surgery - recovery

I have flat back syndrome also. I had my first two surgeries when I was 13 and 14 now I'm 35 with 3 children 6 and under. I want to put off the surgery until absolutely necessary or until my youngest is in 1st grade about 4 more years. Has your doctor explained to you the recovery period after your surgery? I was just wondering how long and what will your limitations be? I know it's probably hard to talk about. I get down now and then when I think about having the surgery, but I know it's inevitable.

Mindy

Comment

Mindy, My surgery is only going to be about 4 to 6 hours long with about 5 days in the hospital. I can't go back to work for 3 months. Total recovery is a year. I am only having a single level osteotomy done. If you are having a full revision where the old hardware is removed and having an anterior/posterior incision your time frame will be different. My anterior/posterior surgery last year was not a revision but it took a total of 22 hours and 2 weeks in the hospital. I went back to work at 5 months but total recovery takes a year or two (sometimes).
                    Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa,
                      I guess I should find out what type of surgery it is exactly. I'm putting it off as long as I can so I didn't really pay attention to the details of the type of procedure. It's probably different for everyone (ie: length of surgery, stay in hospital, recovery period etc.). Thanks for your info anyway. I think I'm going to live in oblivion a little longer. I have a check-up with Dr. Rowe in Jan 2006. We'll see then. Keep us posted on how your doing.
                      Mindy

Comment

Working...
                      X