PDA

View Full Version : Pneumex, Inc.

carolnj
05-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Has anyone ever heard of this treatment (or Dr. John Cintineo) or tried it?

LindaRacine
05-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Carol...

There have been other posts on this topic. To view them, click on the Search link above, then enter PNEUMEX in the box and click GO.

Regards,
Linda

lrmb
05-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi Carol,

I saw Dr. Cintineo and tried the beginnings of Pneumex. I'd be happy to PM or email about it - I'm in transit right now but will be on and off here and email in the next week. I wanted to try Pneumex but ended up not being able to travel 3 hours each way for it regularly enough (I was in Philly).

Best wishes, Laura

GHD1959
05-10-2005, 03:11 PM
They say they treat adults, any feedback??

lrmb
05-10-2005, 06:08 PM
I spoke to three Pneumex practitioners in different parts of the country, and they all said they had experienced surprisingly good results with the treatment, if it could be done twice a week for a long period of time - for a curve my size they all warned me it would probably take 9 months or more at the very least. Two of the people I communicated with were physical therapists and one was a chiropractor. I did a couple of preliminary sessions, which consisted of walking for only about 10 minutes forwards, sideways and backwards on a treadmill while being pulled up in a harness across my ribcage (a bit like traction; you can see pictures of this process on the Pneumex website). After the sessions I always felt like I had gained some height and strength, but it was impossible for me to "verify" and I had to stop because I couldn't continue to travel such the three-hour one-way trip for the treatments.

I was predicted by all three separate practitioners that if my curves were originally around 40/30, I would end up after the treatment with around 30/20 (a much greater proportional improvement on the lesser curve). They also said that in their experience Pneumex worked better and faster for smaller curves; by the time you got to around 40 things were much more difficult.

I'm personally not sure what would have happened in my case if I had been able to continue the treatment. (It's my belief that it would probably help my pain and that there's a chance it would possibly slow progression. I discussed Pneumex with a rehab and pain management expert and she surprised me by saying she thought the treatment would prevent progression if it was kept up continuously.) Whatever the truth, if I ever had a teenager who developed scoliosis I would make great efforts to get them in this treatment if their scoliosis was diagonsed early. It seemed to me - obviously, not an expert!! - that in some cases it could at least be effective in controlling initial progression.

Hope this helps! ~Laura