Accurate x-rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate x-rays

At our first appointment with a surgeon, our daughter had a scoliosis series of x-rays taken. Much to our chagrin, we feel that some of the x-rays do not accurately reflect the views for their intended purposes. After reviewing the x-rays, the doctor seemed slightly perplexed by the angle of thoracic kyphosis and the lack of flexibility when compared to his clinical observations. We reviewed the x-rays at home and after talking to our daughter, we really do feel that the films are flawed. On the standing AP, the feet were together, the left arm to the side at 20 degrees, the right at 40 degrees, head tilted to the left—not at all her natural standing position. On the left bending, she shows great flexibility but said that she could have bent further but felt like she would fall off of the table. On the right bending, she is hardly bent at all, much less than she actually can. The technician told her to “hold that”, as she just started to bend. On the lateral, she has her arms straight in front at 90 degrees and her head tilted forward greatly increasing the kyphosis. The AP and the left bending are probably somewhat accurate but the right bending and lateral are not even close. We are scheduled to see other doctors and we don’t want these x-rays to influence their decision whatsoever. Just a few degrees on the bending films can set the guidelines used to determine which vertebrae are fused. We have a month to decide before our next appointment, but at this point, we are just thinking of leaving the films at home and having another set taken. We will rehearse the proper positioning beforehand. If your child is scheduled for x-rays, you may want to do the same. These young adolescents are nervous and sometimes shy to ask questions, and apparently the radiologists don’t always take the time to ensure proper positioning. Now we have a new worry thinking about the radiation dose. Fortunately, breast shields were used on the first set and we will request them again.
    Mark & Jane, Parents of Lisa
    Daughter 15 years old
    Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.
    Before: PT – 33, MT – 63, L – 32, kyphosis – 46.
    After: PT – 7, MT – 4, L – 15, kyphosis – 32.

Hi! I was really interested to read your posting. I am an adult, but when I resumed monitoring of my scoliosis recently I realised that I had a lot of questions about how to stand for my X-rays. I was very frustrated that I could not get the questions answered by the surgeon before having the X-rays done. (I have a good degree of flexibility in my spine and know I can easily affect the measurement with the way I stand.)

Has anybody else figured out a good way of tackling this issue, particularly with surgeons you have not seen previously?

Thanks!
    Laura
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

Comment

Working...
    X