Is it safe to start braces on teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to start braces on teeth

Jamie is five months post-op and wants to get braces on her teeth. I know at some point she will need to have several teeth pulled. My question is, should we wait a while to start her braces? Is it safe for her to have teeth pulled within the first year after surgery or are we putting her at a greater risk of infection? She has a prescription to pre-medicate her for dental appointments for the first year. I will ask her doctor about this next month, but I was hoping for some imput before then.

Thanks,
    Mary Lou

hi marylou
    i would definitely call the surgeon on that one. I'm sure it is okay although she would have to have an antibiotic before any of that work done. Nicole has braces and just for routine visits she doesn't need to premedicate, but her last visit she did. I got her amoxicillion (sp) and surgeon said only 1 dose 1 hour before. Now on the restriction sheet that i got it said 1 before and i think 3 after. I was like oh great, but the surgeon told me only 1 dose before. Maybe it would be more if she was getting teeth pulled or something. I think next time i will give her the additional doses afterwards, it can't hurt. Your ortho may also know the answer to that. I had spoke to our orth and explained about her rods, they seems to know when she would need to be medicated. If your really nervous about the whole thing you can wait six more months. Nicole needed to have some teeth pulled too, but they had her braces on first for a while and then pulled the teeth. So maybe that is an option. See always worrying.
    Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

I too, even as an adult, had to have teeth pulled but not until after my braces were on, so I'm hoping that will be the same for Jamie just to give us some extra time. I did ask the nurse at the surgeon's office about putting re-fills on Jamie's prescription in case we started braces over the summer and she did, but we didn't discuss it further.

I saw the way the "list" suggested taking the amoxillcilin(?). Jamie's doctor, like Nicole's, told us to give it to her 1 hr. before her dentist appointment. She takes 2000 mg. What does Nicole take?

Thanks,
      Mary Lou

Comment

Braydon had teeth extracted during his rod expansion surgery last September. As long as the patient is pre-medicated, I'm sure tooth extraction would be fine. Good to check with the docs to make sure. Braydon is 9yrs old and weighs 50 pounds. He takes 1000mgs amox 1hr prior to dental visits.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

i don't have any of her prescription left or refills. I just call the pediatrician when i need it and they call it in for me. I can't remember what the milligram was on it, but for some reason i could be wrong i thought it was only 500, it could have been more though. Nicole (my 15 year old baby) can not swallow a pill, so they gave me a small bottle of the amox. what a waste for one dose, at least if it were the pills i could save them for a while i guess. Could you imagine crushing up percocet and viocodin how horrible it must have tasted!! She got used to it though.
          Jennifer

Comment

inam
            get what checked out fast??

Comment

Jamie had her consultation with the orthodontist last week. She needs eight teeth removed!!! We have a consultation with the oral surgeon at the end of this month, so I'm sure the teeth won't be coming out soon, unless the wisdom teeth (they are impacted) start causing her pain. She doesn't get her braces on until October 10th, which will put her at 10 months post-op. We were a little disappointed for the long wait, but on the other hand, it is a good thing.

Mary Lou

Comment

marylou
                i can't believe she needs eight teeth removed. Ouch! I bet she's not happy about that. Do they want all the teeth out before her braces go on?? Ten months post op will be fine.
                jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

I knew Jamie would need teeth removed before braces, because I just got out of my braces about three years ago and even as an adult, I still needed to have two teeth removed and that's after I had already had six removed as a kid to try to make room for my teeth! Jamie doesn't seem to care about removing the teeth. They would like all of them removed if possible before the braces go on.

I agree, ten months post-op should be fine.

Mary Lou

P.S. Jamie is seven months post-op today. Wow, how time flies!

Comment

marylou
                    I just had a wisdom tooth pulled and it didn't even hurt. She will do fine.
                    Wow, 7 months!! That is awesome. I cannot believe how quick it goes. Did she take the bus to school before summer vacation? I drove nicole for the rest of the school year after her surgery and i'm wondering if in sept. i should have her go on the bus. It would make my life so much easier.
                    Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

I don't know if you remember or not, but since Jamie doesn't have any screws in her back, she was much more restricted than everyone else. At six months (June) she still wasn't allowed to change classes with everyone else; no carrying her own books; no gym; no riding the bus and no running or jumping. Since I knew she wouldn't be seeing her doctor again before she starts school in August, I asked all of the important school related questions. She received the okay to all of the following: regular gym class without any restrictions, change classes with everyone else, ride the bus, and carry her own books. We made sure he was aware that she was starting high school.

At this point, I'm not sure if they will be pulling Jamie's teeth or cutting them out, so we are just saying she is having eight teeth removed. She isn't worried at all, but thanks for the painless thoughts. I know when I needed teeth pulled, I drove myself to the appointment and went to a school function later that evening.

Mary Lou

P.S. It feels great to be getting back to some of our family activities. We took a 10 mile bike ride today and Jamie did great!

Comment

im getting braces on my teeth too on july 22 im excited!
                        Lindsay, age 12
                        Curve without brace - 40 top, 45 bottom
                        Curve with brace - 40, 38!!!!!
                        S curve Started wearing Boston brace
                        in June 2005 and will have it for at least 2 yrs.

Comment

Hope this helps to answer the pre-med question. I am currently working at a dental office and our standard dosage is 4 tabs 500mg Ammox taken 1-hour before any kind of dental work. Used to be 1 tablet followed by 3 after but they've since changed that. The mouth is a dirty place and stirring up all that bacteria while at the same time extracting 8 can be harmful for anyone. Definately give a weeks worth of antibiotics, PenVK or Ammox, 500 mg, 4 tabs a day after an extraction. Sometime with wisdom teeth we give a five day course of steriods to help with swelling, depends on the severity of the impaction. Any other questions, dont hesitate to ask or email.

Comment

Just an update-Jamie had her eight teeth removed about three weeks ago and did just fine. We went in a few days ago for a follow-up visit and we were told there wasn't any sign of infection!

Her oral surgeon prescribed her antibiotic a little differently-he started her on antibiotics three days (three times per day) prior to her surgery and she continued after surgery until she had a full weeks worth in her. Usually, for regular dental appointments, she does take 4 pills, 500 mg. one hour before her appointment and that is what we'll do the day she gets her braces on.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                              wow eight teeth pulled, poor baby. Sounds like she is doing great though. Nicole just got her top braces off.
                              Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                              X