Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fainting

Hi Everybody
    My Nicole Fainted Last Night. Did Anybody Have This Problem After Surgery. Took Her To The Er All Test Done Were Normal And The Xray Of Her Back Was Good. Just So Worried She Will Faint Again And Worried She Will Hurt Her Back.
    Theresa
    THERESA

Hi Theresa
    I think Lura mentioned that Alex has been passing out first thing in the morning. She was putting it down to not eating breakfast and possibly the blood loss during surgery. Maybe Nicole had just over done things a little.
    Best wishes

Lorrie

Comment

Theresa,

I would suggest that you keep a close eye on her, however. Make sure she sits up and lets her feet hang off the side of the bed for a little bit before standing up. Make sure she is eating and drinking enough. I hope it doesn't last. It would scare me and I'd be worrying constantly about her injuring her back. I know I don't need to remind you of this, but she just went through major surgery. Sometimes, like Lorrie said, they just over do it.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou And Lorrie
        Nicole Has Really Not Been Over Doing Everything Taking It Too Slow. Thats What Worrys Me So. As Far As Eating Shes Not The Best Eater But Has Been Eating B L D. She Could Drink More Fulids. I Can't Believe This Happened We Are Keeping An Eye On Her. Just Another Thing To Worry About I Think Between My Husband And I We Are Going To Drive Her Crazy. Yesterday We Were Asking Her All Day How Do You Feel If You Stand Up Call Us Eat Eat Do You Want Something To Eat. I Will Be Seeing The Surgery Today Hopefully He Could Explain Why This Happened.
        Theresa
        THERESA

Comment

I'm so glad to hear that Nicole isn't overdoing it. These kids are just amazing, they recovery so quickly. It is very hard for them to get a good appetitie when they basically aren't doing anything to get hungry. My thought was maybe she is a little dehydrated? I don't know if that can cause you to faint or not. It could have just been a once and done thing. I hope so.

When does she go back to her doctor? I would mention it to her. If it continues, I'd call her doctor just to be save.

Mary Lou

Comment

Theresa,
            Dehydration can cause Nicole to faint. Both Crystal and I have to drink large amounts of water, because we dehydrate easily and will faint. However, I would call the doctor about it today and see what they suggest.

Love and prayers,
            Nikki

Comment

Ditto on the dehydration theory - make sure she drinks lots of fluids, especially water, if she can tolerate it. Good luck and here's to no more fainting!
              Carmell
              mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Theresa,

Hi there! Alex had the problem for about two weeks! As Lorrie mentioned, it occurred when I pushed him too fast in the a.m. We were back at Shriner's Friday, as they thought Alex had an infection, and I mentioned everything, and no one seemed overly concerned about the fainting spells since they were controlled by moving slower in the morning. I still attribute it to the blood loss during surgery. Now he has a viral infection somewhere in his little system, they were worried the infection was in his spine, so after aspirating the base of his incision, and 2 blood draws, and the weekend in the hospital, it was ruled out that it had anything to do with the surgery! Needless to say, I am worn out all over again!!

I just remembered that I started Alex's vitamines with iron again right after the first fainting spell!! Try that!

Best of luck!

Lura

Comment

Hi there Lura

Sounds like you two have been having a bad few days. Hope Alex is on the mend now and you can breathe again.

Hugs etc
                  Lorrie

Comment

Theresa,

Sorry to hear about Nicole's fainting.

My daughter fainted multiple times the first month after surgery, 2 years ago.

How long was Nicole's surgery and did she have any blood loss above her self-donated transfusion?

My daughter was in surgery for 12 hours and had significant blood loss which we were told was the cause of the fainting.

The surgeon told us she needed time to rebuild her blood supply and her strength.

Make sure she doesn't stand too quickly and have her sit down if she feels dizzy (with her head down).

I had to stand next to the shower in case my daughter felt dizzy while showering (which seemed to trigger it) - maybe the warm room....

Luckily, she never injured her back and we were very careful. However, I recall that she fainted months after the operation (once in the kitchen and once at a friend's house). So, it may be something you have to watch.

Hope Nicole is feeling better.

Take care,

Susan

Comment

Hi Theresa,

My daughter had several fainting spells. Please make sure she transitions slowly from lying down to standing up, or from getting up from her chair very slowly. Also, be careful in the shower, as heat can trigger fainting. My daughter also had a couple of episodes when she was in the kitchen getting herself a snack, and when she tilted her head back sharply to look for something on a top shelf, and she blacked out. This didn't last long though, maybe 4 or 5 weeks. Make sure you keep an eye on her when she gets out of bed or gets up from her chair or showers. Keep the chair in the shower till she's gone a couple weeks without getting faint.

Also, make sure she's taking her vitamins and iron. Plus plenty of protein and fluids. When she gets her blood volume back up and her body gets used to being upright, she'll be fine!

Susanna
                      Susanna
                      ~~~~~~
                      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

HEY EVERYONE
                        WOW DO I FEEL BETTER THAT ALL YOUR KIDS ARE FAINTING . WHEN HER TESTS AT THE ER CAME BACK NORMAL AND THEY COULD NOT ANSWER US WHY THIS HAPPENED I WAS A BIT UPSET. THEN OF COURSE I STARTED READING STUFF ABOUT FAINTING. AT LEASE I KNOW WHY THANK YOU FOR POSTING. I HAVE BEEN GIVING HER 2 EGG WHITES A DAY AND MAKING HER DRINKS LOTS OF WATER. STARTING GIVING HER VITAMINS HOPEFULLY THIS WORKS. WE SAW THE DOCTOR TODAY AND TOLD ME TO FEED HER LOTS OF PROTEIN AND TO DRINKS THE FLUIDS. HER SPINE IS FINE FROM THE FALL. SHE HAS TO START PT AND WEAR HER NEW BRACE 23 HRS A DAY. SHE NOT TO HAPPY WITH THAT BUT THE XRAY WITH THE BRACE ON TODAY SHOWED HER LUMBAR AT 38 SO WE ARE HOPING TO GET IT DOWN WEARING IT FOR 23 HRS. THE DOCTOR TOLD HER THAT SHE WILL HAVE TO WEAR IT FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS. WISH ME LUCK HER RIBS ARE SORE STILL AND SHE WILL START TOMORROW WEARING IT FOR 12 HRS TIL WE WORK UP TO THE 23 HRS. MEAN WHILE I WILL BE FOLLOWING HER AROUND WITH A PILLOW INCASE SHE FALLS AGAIN.
                        THERESA
                        THERESA

Comment

Theresa,
                          My heart really goes out to you. Crystal's recovery has been so uneventful. I am so thankful for that. I am so terribly sorry you guys are having such a time of it. I am keeping you in my prayers.

Maybe some bubble wrap might help too. LOL. She'd at least be padded on the way down. I keep threatening Crystal with bubble wrap because she won't slow down.

Have some of Nicole's other problems worked themselves out? Now, to get the fainting under control.

Lots of love and prayers are going out for you.
                          'til later,
                          Nikki

Comment

Hey Nikki
                            Thank You
                            Nicole Is Doing Good She Just Needs To Get Moving More She Is Down To Taking 1/2 Norco When She Has Pain About Every 5 To 6 Hrs And Goes All Night With Nothing. I'm Going To Start Pt And She Wants To Go Back To School Missing The Kids. But I'm Holding Her Back For A Few More Weeks With That. The Teachers Come Everyday So Thats Working Out Fine. My Husband And I Just Need To Calm Down. We May Drive This Kid Crazy Asking Her If She Feels Ok. Keep On Crystal About Slowing Down Shes Been Throught So Much. Thanks For All The Prayers I Could Use Them.
                            Theresa
                            THERESA

Comment

Lura
                              Hope Things Are Going Better For Alex Poor Little Guy.
                              Always In My Prayers
                              Theresa
                              THERESA

Comment

Working...
                              X