Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery's over, what a trooper!

Hi all,

My son's scoliosis surgery was today. He did great. He was a little worried last night, wondering how his back was going to be opened, afraid that he'd lose too much blood and die, I talked to him, then told the nurse and she explained to him too. Then he was asking everyone what their favorite sandwich was...."would you eat a peanut butter and tuna fish sandwich?" No, would you? NO!

The entire spine is fused, he told us kids that have neuro muscular scoliosis usually have weaker bones, not him, his bones are strong, he made him work. He's in PICU. They are keeping him entubated over night and tomorrow til mid morning. So we opted to come home and get some sleep, he knows we can't sleep in his room in the PICU. ICU doc says nurses and PT will be there tomorrow, getting him up. Thats when the work starts. I'll be staying with him after this, he'll probably come home Wed.

There were several people who still remember us from 10 years ago when he was in for the brain tumor surgery, he was in 2 months back then and a lot of people didn't think he would make it home. He showed them.

I've been up since 3:30 this morning and feeling a little rummy, so I better close. Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers.

Hi,
    Glad to hear everything went well. Hang on in there and we'll be thinking of you.

Lorrie

Comment

Dear Belletoo, I am so happy to hear that your son's surgery went so well and that he is now on the road to recovery!!

Comment

belletoo, I so glad your son did well though surgery. How are things going now a couple of days later? Sending prayers for his continuing recovery.
        Linda

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes.

He is still in ICU. He was finally extubated last night around 9 pm. He wanted that tube out so badly. He is on pain meds, but they slowed it down so he could breathe better on his own. He had a little lung infection going on which is another reason they kept him entubated. He was so hoarse, trying to get everyone to listen to him-he needed to blow his nose.

When we left he was sleeping comfortably on his stomache, he was able to help roll himself over. Orders said PT and moving was ad lib. Today will probably be his day to get up and move around more. Hopefully move him to the floor.

Will post more when I know more.

Comment

Glad to hear the surgery was a success and that recovery is going well. Continued best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery. Keep us posted.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
            X