18 and gettin a surgery June 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 and gettin a surgery June 1

Hey Guys! Im 18/f and Im lookin at a surgery June 1. Im kinda nervous and dont really know what to expect. My curve is in my upper back (dont know the technical term for that) and its about 50 degrees. I've been weightlifting and running a mile 2-3 days out of the week preparing myself. So Im a pretty active person. So heres some of the questions I got for you younger folks who have had the surgery done:

1) What kind of pain should I expect to have? I have never had more than a broken wrist or a sprained ankle in my life!

2) How long will it take for me to get "comfortable" enough to get back to normal? 3 months after the surgery I will be going away to school in Oklahoma. I've heard that it doesnt take very long, especially if you're in shape and young. Should I be OK?

3) What does the brace look like? Is it uncomfortable? Can you wear a regular shirt over it?

4) What about hygene? How the heck am I goin to shower and shave? Ahhh!!!

5) What should I expect in the hospital?

As you can see I'm all questions and no answers. PLease help me out?
    thanks!

God bless,
    Annlee

i'm in a similar position to you, 18 and waiting to have surgery, so i'm probably the worst person to advise considering i'm alson in the UK, not the US (thought it can't be that different)

apparently, because we're young we bounce back quite quickly. you sound like you're in much better shape than me (the most exercise i get is 8 hours running around a week working in a coffee house and an hour of riding a horse) so you're way more motivated than me!

have you not had a brace before? i had one for nearly two years and it was wholly plastic, going from just under my breasts, to just over my hips (kinda like a corset) but apparently my post-op one will be plastic backed and open at the front (with straps running across the front)

apparently if you have surgery in early summer, you're fine to go back to school by autumn. i'm taking a year off before i go to university though - it's an opportunity to indulge my lazy side!

as i say, my advice may not be the best. but good luck - ultimately it's worth the short term discomfort/inconvenience to have a lifetime of good health and symmetry
    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
    braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
    fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
    Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
    scoliosis support forum

Comment

Hi Annlee,

My daughter had surgery 7 weeks ago. She's 13 years old. Let's see if I can answer your questions.

Pain? Definitely! Kind of like getting hit by a bus, but you will have plenty of stong pain medication, so you should never experience unbearable pain. It will get a little better each day.

Returning to school? marmyte is right. It seems like the kids who are in excellent physical condition bounce back much quicker. You should be feeling pretty strong at 3 months. As long as you are careful to get enough rest, you should be good to go back to school. If you're not doing it now, incorprate some Pilates or Yoga into your routine. It's really important to strengthen those core muscles (the abdominal muscles that support the spine) before surgery.

The brace? Don't know as my daughter didn't need one after surgery. I'd bet that it will be pretty thin and not too bulky. It's probably going to be really hot and sweaty wearing a plastic brace in AZ in the summer. You might want to stick with some older t-shirts that you won't mind if they get a little stretched or snagged. Hopefully you won't need it very long. Also, I have heard that wearing a tank under the brace can make it feel better.

Showering isn't too bad. You won't wear the brace in there. You might need a shower chair in the beginning, because the pain meds and low blood volume can make you get dizzy more easily, especially in the hot shower. Shaving? Armpits are OK, but shaving the legs and trimming toe nails are impossible for the first 2-3 months. You are not allowed to bend. Splurge, and get your legs waxed at a salon. Tell your friends to give you gift certificates for leg waxing and pedicures instead of sending you flowers!

What to expect in the hospital? If you'd like, send me an e-mail and I will give you a list of stuff to take with you to the hospital to make things easier. When you first wake up, you will have an IV running into the back of your hand. You will probably have a pain pump that they will show you how to use right away. You will have an oxygen mask. You will have a catheter so you don't have to get up to pee. You might have a chest tube in your side to drain extra fluid. You will not be able to move yourself, and a nurse will "log roll" you every few hours from your back to your side, and then back again. You will not be able to eat or drink anything at all until your intestines "wake up". Don't worry, you won't be hungry, although your mouth will feel very dry. You might not remember much about the first 2-3 days because you're going to be on strong pain meds. After a couple of days, The tubes will come out, they will switch you from the pain pump to pain pills, you will sit on the edge of your bed, and eventually take some walks with the physical therapist. You will start first on fluids, then eventually back on solid food. You will be in the hospital 5-7 days.

When you get home, the first couple of weeks you will need lots of TLC from your family and friends. By one month, you'll be feeling strong enough for brief outings, like the movies and dinner. By 6 weeks, you should be ready to spend 6-8 hours out of the house. By 3 months, you should be feeling pretty much back to normal. Talk to your doctor about physical retrictions (running, weight lifting, etc.) because every doctor will have slightly different recommendations.

Good luck to you!
      Susanna
      ~~~~~~
      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Annalee,
        My daughter had surgery on 3/15/05. She is like you and very fit. She is an athlete and keeps her body fine tuned. She was home from the hospital on the 6th day. She took several long business trips between weeks 2 and 3 post op. She was back at school at 3 weeks post op. Went to her prom at week 4 post-op, and had an incredible 5 week post op check up. She is now 6 1/2 weeks post-op and going crazy. She feels good, but the doctor hasn't lifted any restrictions yet. We take a walk every day when she gets home from school, and it isn't just done the block. It is a mile walk. Crystal has been out and about since the end of her first week home, 2 weeks post-op.

Part of your recovery is your physical condition and the other part is your mind set. Crystal has a brace, she didn't have one before surgery, but has one now. It is only about 3/8" thick. She wears it daily. She doesn't have to wear it to bed, but chooses to as it gives her great support. Crystal didn't let the pain of surgery get to her. She knew it was temporary and that it would get better if she got her self motivated to get going.

We didn't get Crystal anything for her return home. There are things we had to help her with for a week or two, but not for long. We didn't get any special bed, chairs, or anything like that. We functioned with what we had. She did sleep on the couch for about a week, as it was more comfortable for her. But, she has been in her bed since then. A person can get some money tied up in special items for this surgery.

You will learn to function quite well with your new back. If you asked Crystal if the pain of surgery was worth it. She would tell you yes it was because her back doesn't hurt at all now. Where it used to hurt 24/7 before surgery.

Your experience in the hospital will depend on the hospital. Crystal had IV's in each hand, but no drain tubes or breathing tubes after surgery. You will also have a catheter in your bladder. You will start out on liquids to wake up your digestion system, then to solid foods. But, Crystal didn't eat much in the hospital. She said she liked home cooking better. She did eat the night before she went home. We got pizza and had a going home party for her. She ate that night. You may also have a problem with constipation as the medications will do that to you. There are several ways to take care of that problem and the hospital staff will let you know what their procedures are for that. When you are released to go home, be sure to have your pain medications filled at a nearby pharmacy. You don't want to get caught without them.

You won't need to take a whole lot to the hospital. You'll want to take toothpaste, toothbrush, hair brush, etc. Take a comfy pair of clothes to go home in and maybe a couple of pairs of pj's. Crystal took way more stuff that she needed.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Nikki

Comment

Annlee!
          I had similar surgery when about 9 months ago, I was 16 at the time. To answer some of your questions...
          1. The surgery will be painful. However I had both anterior and posterior surgery and anterior was much more painful than the posterior portion. So if you are only having posterior you are in better shape than I.

2. You should be able to go back to school after 3 months. Honestly, how well you progress is totally up to you. I found that I did not want to be restricted and so I pushed my self alot to return to normal. From just rolling your shoulders and moving your arms and legs while you are still in the ICU and to doing that extra trip around the nurses station during physical therapy, will all make you get better faster. I started school ontime having my surgery June 22nd and school started August 16th. Going full days from 8am to 4pm.

3. The brace I wore was big but I could cover it up with tshirts and sweaters. It makes you feel so much better when you have it on. However, you say you live in Arizona, and I live in Texas, and the heat really got to me when I would wear it, but that was the only BIG problem with it.

4. While I was in the hospitol I only showered once, and that was the 2nd to last day of my week long stay. It was kinda gross but you are really unaware of whats going on around you most of the time, and the medication makes it difficult to think about things too long. So you arent really able to dwell on it. I had my mom shave my legs for me, but that was after I got home.

5. My hospitol experience was good for the situation I was in. Of course its not going to be like a vacation to Hawaii, but the nurses and friends and family are all there for you, to make you feel better. Personally I liked having a bunch of visitors because it took my mind off my pain.
          Best of luck with everything. Many prayers.
          Annie

Comment

Good Luck

It sounds like you are in good shape and that will help. My dughter had surgery on Jan 12. As you know every one is different, so each story is also. When your in the hospital forget about most things(shower, legs, hair) way too much brother. The pain is bad and the nurses rolling you every couple of hours is not much fun either. As soon as they allow make yourself get up walk sit in chair it helps.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ASK YOUR DOCTOR THAT YOU GET ANTIOBTICS BEFORE THE SURGERY STARTS!!!!!!!!!! ALSO ASK HOW MANY INFECTIONS HAS YOUR DOCTOR SEEN AS A COMPLICATION OF SURGEY?

My daughter was one of the 1% of people that my doctor has done that got an infection in her wound. It create many other problems for her. One of the things was getting antobotics before the surgery maybe could have prevented it.

Cindy

Comment

Annlee,
              When my daughters IV's were started, they put antibiotics in right then. I think that is a pretty regular practice and they kept her on antibiotics in her IV for two days after surgery.

Don't get scared with what everyone is telling you. Everyone has had a different experience and yours will be even different from all of these. We found the nurses were real good about making Crystal feel clean. They washed her hair, without her getting out of bed. They shaved her legs, because they began to itch from stubble. They tried to shower her several times, but she would get sick to her stomach before they could get it done, we discovered the percocet was making her sick. Because she couldn't get showered, the nurses were really good about getting her a good sponge bath. We finally were able to get her in the shower at home and she has done quite well since then.

We are praying for you.

'til later,
              Nikki

Comment

Working...
              X